Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: NZ Expo London 26-27 March

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    207

    Default NZ Expo London 26-27 March

    I was wondering if anyone is going or has been to one before?

    I know that there are mixed opinions as to how much use they are but we have been given free tickets so for anyone who has been before what is worth checking out? We'll be bringing the children (aged 1 & 3.5) whose tolerance of such things is pretty small so we just want to get the best out of it.

    And if any other forumites are going then you can give us a wave. We'll be the ones toddler wrangling

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    110

    Default

    We are going to Manchester and I think it's the same one. If there's something in particular I can keep an eye out and let you know. We were originally going to the Dublin one, but after seeing the exhibitor list decided against it. We have five kids, so I know you'd want to be pretty motivated to put yourself through that..

    PM me if there's something you would like me to watch for.

    Laura
    Quote Originally Posted by Escapee View Post
    I was wondering if anyone is going or has been to one before?

    I know that there are mixed opinions as to how much use they are but we have been given free tickets so for anyone who has been before what is worth checking out? We'll be bringing the children (aged 1 & 3.5) whose tolerance of such things is pretty small so we just want to get the best out of it.

    And if any other forumites are going then you can give us a wave. We'll be the ones toddler wrangling

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Nrth Wellington from Tadley UK
    Posts
    1,605

    Default

    For us this was how we got out here, we went to one about 3 years before & just wandered round in a daze, didn't speak to anyone but went to the talks they did. Along came DD number 1 & it was put on hold but I said lets not forget about it, Expo number 2 came up just as we g ot back from holiday & this time I said lets go & find out once & for all if we can get in, I checked the companies that would be there & focused on 2-3, when we got there this time we just headed for those stands & OH got an interview the following Wednesday where he was told he had the job before the interview started, they wanted him to start in the January when we were already in October so we sold the house, got the visas, found out I was pregnant & spent our last Christmas in the UK, the rest is history
    Just wanna wish anyone going all the best

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 123laura View Post
    We are going to Manchester and I think it's the same one. If there's something in particular I can keep an eye out and let you know. We were originally going to the Dublin one, but after seeing the exhibitor list decided against it. We have five kids, so I know you'd want to be pretty motivated to put yourself through that..

    PM me if there's something you would like me to watch for.

    Laura
    Thanks Laura. I don't know if I am being really dim but I can't find the exhibitor list on the website. I'll have another trawl through in the morning when my brain is working a bit better.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Georgebulldog View Post
    For us this was how we got out here, we went to one about 3 years before & just wandered round in a daze, didn't speak to anyone but went to the talks they did. Along came DD number 1 & it was put on hold but I said lets not forget about it, Expo number 2 came up just as we g ot back from holiday & this time I said lets go & find out once & for all if we can get in, I checked the companies that would be there & focused on 2-3, when we got there this time we just headed for those stands & OH got an interview the following Wednesday where he was told he had the job before the interview started, they wanted him to start in the January when we were already in October so we sold the house, got the visas, found out I was pregnant & spent our last Christmas in the UK, the rest is history
    Just wanna wish anyone going all the best
    That's great Lindsey! What does your OH do? Neither OH or I work in industries that are that particularly straightforward emigration wise - he works in fashion/marketing/journalism and I mainly have worked with homlessness people around vocational guidance, return to work, that kind of thing, though I am have also been a PA and I am also a photographer (juggling lots of things at the minute!). Just wish I'd gone through the midwifery training that I signed up for years ago!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Nrth Wellington from Tadley UK
    Posts
    1,605

    Default

    He's a project manager for Telecom so his job was very transferrable & so yes probably a lot easier than you, although he didn't have any qualifications in this field so all ways worth a look at other jobs to get you here if you have the points elsewhere, saying that you do seem to have the jobs that are needed but not by the companies that go to the expos more likely land one over the net or by coming over
    Good luck in your search

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Georgebulldog View Post
    He's a project manager for Telecom so his job was very transferrable & so yes probably a lot easier than you, although he didn't have any qualifications in this field so all ways worth a look at other jobs to get you here if you have the points elsewhere, saying that you do seem to have the jobs that are needed but not by the companies that go to the expos more likely land one over the net or by coming over
    Good luck in your search
    Thanks Lindsey We have friends in NZ including an ex-employee of OH's who is still in the same sector so we do have a few contacts. OH's experience (mostly at MD level) is pretty skilled and specialist and as it is listed as an area of future growth we are hopefull that someone will want him! But yes, we've figured out that he will most probably have to do a job hunting recce as it's unlikely to be something people are recruiting for over here. I hope it's still worth going along to the expo though - we're not paying for the tickets so not that much of a gamble, I guess

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    110

    Default

    Hi, we went to the expo on Saturday - only stayed about 20 minutes though! I would try to get a babysitter sorted for your three year old, they do try to be child friendly, but it's crowded and hot and would be hard on a small child. We just about managed the pram, but she was getting stressed by being so crowded, so I ended up putting her in the sling.

    Immigration was there, but I think it would be easier to get the information from their website or I called the office in Auckland in the evenings to avoid the high call charges for London.

    There were very few recruiters, and they were mostly health or engineering. The banks were there and it only took a few minutes to open the account and everything will be ready for us when we arrive. There were also money transfer companies and removal companies.

    There were very very long queues for anyone like immigration or recruiters, for me, I found it much easier to get stuff off the internet.

    It was a useful trip for us, but only because it was an opportunity to get on firmer ground with the people my husband wants to wotk for _ I'm really sure now that they are going to make him an offer and that they are definitely the right employer, and we also caught up with family in England.

    Hope that helps!

    Laura
    Quote Originally Posted by Escapee View Post
    Thanks Lindsey We have friends in NZ including an ex-employee of OH's who is still in the same sector so we do have a few contacts. OH's experience (mostly at MD level) is pretty skilled and specialist and as it is listed as an area of future growth we are hopefull that someone will want him! But yes, we've figured out that he will most probably have to do a job hunting recce as it's unlikely to be something people are recruiting for over here. I hope it's still worth going along to the expo though - we're not paying for the tickets so not that much of a gamble, I guess

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    207

    Default

    Thanks for getting back to me, Laura. That's really helpful. We won't be able to get a babysitter so I'm wondering now if we should bother going at all It won't lead to anything jobs wise and I think I have a pretty good handle on things immigration wise. Like you said, most things can be done over the internet. Hmmm. I'll have to have a good think about that.

    Sounds like things are going well for you on the job front though. Good luck with it all

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Rotorua, NZ
    Posts
    43

    Default

    My OH and I have been to 3x Expos/shows. The 1st being at Lords Cricket Ground on 19 Feb, found it really useful, lots of questions answered and raised further questions. The following weekend we went to one on the outskirts of Birmingham, again useful. The last one we went to was in Manchester called 'Working in.....', we feel this one was mis-advertised. My OH receives the Royal College of Nursing journal, 'Working in...' was advertised in the journal, it stated the health recruitment teams, from NZ, would be there to interview people etc etc. Suffice to say, we left there a little disappointed.

    But overall, yes they are of benefit, but I NOT recommend 'Working In ....' to anyone.

    http://www.emigrate2.co.uk/emigrate_...nformation.htm

    http://www.workingin-newzealand.com/expos.aspx

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •