Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Living costs...

Default Living costs...

Hi guys

Now we've been approved I'm thinking about costs of everyday things... if anyone currently living in Auckland area could give me ideas of typical costs that would be ace.

Bit of background... I'll be working, my wife won't for the first 6 months (although I'm sure she'll try not to work for a year and take it easy ), and we have a 5 yr old daughter. For the first 6 weeks we'll be in accommodation provided by my employer, thereafter we'll be renting for the first 12 months before buying a house. We're unsure where we'll be renting at the moment. Regarding driving, both the wife and I have 9 yrs no claims (for what its worth!).

Okay typical costs for these if you can guys, weekly or whatever (please stipulate), mucho appreciated!

Water rates
    Electricity/Gas
    Council tax?
    Cheap PAYG mobile (we have phones, just simple tariffs)
    Broadband (reasonable speed required!)
    Running costs 1 car (not fuel, just equivalent tax, insurance, MOT)
    Running costs 1 motorcycle (as above)
    TV License?
    Digital TV? We have freeview now and thats plenty...
    House contents insurance
    Typical food costs, not too frugal

Cheers peeps!

as a broad overview, i reckon for a family you need about 5k net per month to live an ok life maybe a holiday a year out of that if you're careful. everyone lives to different means so its a hard one to answer specifically as it depends on what you like doing, where you live exactly etc etc but i'd go with 5k as a good baseline.

There is a cost of living calculator here...

http://www.enz.org/cost-of-living-in-new-zealand.HTML

I don't know how up to date it is but it may give you a rough idea to start with.

Thanks both...

My salary alone, after taxes, ACC and 4% pension contributions is nearer 6k so we should be ok but won't leave much for the savings pot until wifey gets her behind in gear!

Will have a look at that link ta.

Quote Originally Posted by rick78 View Post
    Thanks both...

My salary alone, after taxes, ACC and 4% pension contributions is nearer 6k so we should be ok but won't leave much for the savings pot until wifey gets her behind in gear!

Will have a look at that link ta.
    In the same boat, but in the Wellington area and are managing just fine - and we have a 4yr old and a 16yr old. We have pre-school costs and also had to get a second car which is on HP which you won't have. And I have now got my behind into gear after 5 months and start work again on Monday. Hoping to save most of my income. You'll be fine.

Hi All,

I have read the above posts and asked a friend living in Auckland, who is single.

He says that aprrox 1-1.5K per month is enough for a decent living in Ack.

Since I am also single and if I plan to come down for a rece, so was wondering if this makes sense...

We are a couple in Wellington, but here are some costs anyway:

Water rates - included in rent
    Electricity/Gas - $80 pcm during Summer - no gas
    Council tax? - included in rent
    Cheap PAYG mobile (we have phones, just simple tariffs) $40 pcm each
    Broadband (reasonable speed required!) - $55 pcm 20GB
    Running costs 1 car (not fuel, just equivalent tax, insurance, MOT) - insurance $16 pcm - rego $287pa
    TV License? - Doesn't exist
    Digital TV? We have freeview now and thats plenty... - $140 one off charge including dish set top box
    House contents insurance - $50 pcm
    Typical food costs, not too frugal - $250 pw

Hope this helps.

I second v24's broad overview -- you won't struggle on 6K/month.

To NZ Immi -- "decent living" at 1K/month? If by "decent living" you mean a cheap shared flat, the cheapest sort of home-prepared food, no car, no phone, no entertainment (save maybe broadcast TV or secondhand books), and no savings, then maybe. Even for a frugal single person, 1K/month would be an existential struggle in Auckland (or, really, anywhere in NZ).

If you're not paying rent - you should get by easily on your earnings.

With children, you have "voluntary" school fees, ours is (primary decile 10, ie you have to pay more) $235 a year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast