Thread: Relief Teacher Pay

Question Relief Teacher Pay

Hi all...
    I am about to send my qualifications away to NZQA and the NZ Teacher Council to be reviewed. I am have been able to find teaching salaries for full-time regular teachers but I have not been able to find any pay scales for release teaching. We are headed to Dunedin and that is where I will be working. Is there anyone who can give me an idea of how much I might expect to make as a relief teacher in Dunedin?

Thanks in advance for any information you can share
    Last edited by mthldy; 19th March 2011 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Fixed a spelling error.

Someone may be able to give you the exact number but an approximation is to take the annual salary and divide by 200. Relief teachers are paid proportionally here. So essentially you get one day's pay at the regular rate for each day you work.

I think it is around $250 a day before tax...

Quote Originally Posted by Millieandme View Post
    Someone may be able to give you the exact number but an approximation is to take the annual salary and divide by 200. Relief teachers are paid proportionally here. So essentially you get one day's pay at the regular rate for each day you work.
    I think this only applies for relievers in the same position over a certain number of weeks (2?) - shorter terms are capped at a daily rate of around $250 I think.

Just found this info online:
    Agreement Primary, Area and Secondary Teachers' CAs
    Remuneration (daily rate) 1/190 of appropriate annual salary (inclusive of holiday pay).
    Maximum daily rate payable Not to exceed 1/190 of step 10 of the base scale (inclusive of holiday pay).
    These rates apply irrespective of whether a relieving teacher’s employment is funded from the board’s operational funding (BG) or teachers’ salaries (TS).
    Last edited by auskiwi; 20th March 2011 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Add Info

Wow! That's amazing to me. Our relief teachers where I am from in the states make a whopping $85 a day before taxes. This info makes me feel much better since I was figuring that I would have to start as a relief teacher and build some contacts before I would get a permanent position. Thanks so much for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by mthldy View Post
    Wow! That's amazing to me. Our relief teachers where I am from in the states make a whopping $85 a day before taxes. This info makes me feel much better since I was figuring that I would have to start as a relief teacher and build some contacts before I would get a permanent position. Thanks so much for the info.
    Wow, Im in Oregon and our relief teachers get about $140 - $85 seems really low!

Quote Originally Posted by auskiwi View Post
    Wow, Im in Oregon and our relief teachers get about $140 - $85 seems really low!
    I'm in Nevada. Everything is really low and getting lower here these days Good time to make our escape.

Oh this is very scarey ! I am moving over next year and was hoping to grab relief high school teaching or something in education. Just realising the terrible pay rates over there. $250 a day before tax. Australia pays $350. No wonder everybody moves over to live with us !! Well here's hoping I get something nonetheless.

You're looking at posts from 2011. The actual figures may have changed since then. Maybe there's somebody out there who can update the information, please?