Thread: Christchurch Clean Air Zones - map?

Default Christchurch Clean Air Zones - map?

how do.. we've been planning to put a woodburner in our new home, but may have inadvertently purchased on the wrong side of the road to be in Zone 2..

Trouble is that the only map I can see on the ECan website is, to be blunt, rubbish. How anyone near the edge of either zone is supposed to be able to identify the border I have no idea!!!

I have Googled etc, but to no avail.. though I could always call them But just wondering, before I mention this to whoever is actually picking phones up at ECan at the moment (hmm.. that might be "no one")... is there a better map out there??

Quote Originally Posted by sophiedb View Post
    Trouble is that the only map I can see on the ECan website is, to be blunt, rubbish. How anyone near the edge of either zone is supposed to be able to identify the border I have no idea!!!
    I think you are little crass as the map is not supposed to give detailed information!

The site your link leads to again leads to another one http://ecan.govt.nz/quick-answers/Pa...ir-zone-1.aspx where it is stated that the map "roughly comprises" ... and "for further assistance please contact Customer Service".

PS: Not ALL information is available online!

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    PS: Not ALL information is available online!
    Really? My world view has been shattered

I can see your point, but to me there's not much point in a map that doesn't give relevant information. That and the map on their website has clearly been shrunk from a larger one, so they could have added that too... would certainly save them the time of answering a few calls to Customer Services.

Out of curiosity, was your new home priced cheaper than the houses 1 street away that were allowed to burn wood?

Not being able to burn wood is a major cost towards heating through increase electricity consumption. $1500 - $2000 extra per year?

Good Luck in getting the information Sophie.

I am curious this year about whether there will be relaxation for a year. Given many homes are damaged, the power supplies are flaky and likely to remain so for some time and homes have logburners, if they will be allowed to use them this year to maintain a reasonable heat and also keep the fabric of the building dry. It would be a useful solution to a problem, which while not huge at the moment, will become more difficult in the next couple of months.

Sophie, I'm not sure if these are the maps you need, but if you scroll down to the bottom of this page there are links to maps that appear to show the clean air zones at road level (bottom two links).

Quote Originally Posted by Jo Jo View Post
    Sophie, I'm not sure if these are the maps you need, but if you scroll down to the bottom of this page there are links to maps that appear to show the clean air zones at road level (bottom two links).
    Now that's what I call a MAP! Thank you, JoJo! Sadly, it does confirm that we're in Zone 1, but a bit further in than I thought - close to 1km.

Quote Originally Posted by Super_BQ
    Out of curiosity, was your new home priced cheaper than the houses 1 street away that were allowed to burn wood?
    Looking at the map, even the furthest out home we saw while house-hunting was within Zone 1. It quite literally hugs the built-up area that makes up Halswell. On the first map it looked like the boundary followed a road very near us, but it's actually another, a few 100m further south and roughly parallel.

Zone 2 appears to be almost 100% field-sized sections, all around Chch. Whether the boundaries will change if they're subdivided and built upon following 22/2 is a question...

We did fancy looking further south in Tai Tapu, but nothing was available in our price range at the time. The two we saw near Prebbleton were also over-budget

Quote Originally Posted by Mamee & Co
    I am curious this year about whether there will be relaxation for a year. Given many homes are damaged, the power supplies are flaky and likely to remain so for some time and homes have logburners, if they will be allowed to use them this year to maintain a reasonable heat and also keep the fabric of the building dry. It would be a useful solution to a problem, which while not huge at the moment, will become more difficult in the next couple of months.
    Good question!! It would be nice.. though MiL tells us tales of when Chch was full of woodburners year round and the smog was hellish.. This is a slightly different cuppa, however. It'll be up to ECan rather than the council or govt..

The various heating and insulation places we've been calling are all anticipating a busy autumn though, unsurprisingly. I just hope they find a few spare batts for our place!! (which isn't cracked or otherwise broken, but it does suffer from a thin layer of 40-year old fuzzy stuff in the loft, single glazing and the most expensive electrically-heated blowing system I've ever seen in my life!).

Quote Originally Posted by sophiedb View Post
    I just hope they find a few spare batts for our place!! (which isn't cracked or otherwise broken, but it does suffer from a thin layer of 40-year old fuzzy stuff in the loft, single glazing and the most expensive electrically-heated blowing system I've ever seen in my life!).
    Sophie, I'd suggest investing in some nice fleecy pj's, some furry slippers and a few hot water bottles for your first NZ winter - I realise that doesn't help with your map question, but it'll help you cope!!