Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pet Importation Rules Changing (USA to NZ)

Default Pet Importation Rules Changing (USA to NZ)

I just called Pethaven (quarantine facility in Auckland-Pokeno) and they informed me that after the end of April / May the quarantine rules for dogs coming from the U.S is changing from 30 days to 10 days. She said they are easing the vaccination rules a little too. Will post more when I have details.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Yeah - we had to pay for the full 30 days - bummer! But great for future Kiwis

Here is the info from PetHaven and Qualified Pet Services (Auckland Quarantine options). Despite the quarantine being reduced from 30 to 10 days, the fee has barely reduced at all. Go figure.

The alignment goes all weird when I post this - just know that the dollar amounts on the left are for a cat, and on the right are for a dog

QUALIFIED PET SERVICES LTD

PRICE LIST FOR 10 DAY QUARANTINE

Quarantine Charges:

Per Pet Cat Dog __________________________________________________ ___________
    10 days Quarantine $350 $750

Customs clearance
    MAF Airport document fee
    Airport collection $325 $325 Airline handling fee

MAF Vet visits $84 $84
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sub Total $759 $1159

GST $113.85 $173.85
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    TOTAL: $872.85 $1332.85
    __________________________________________________ ______________

A NZ$300 NON-REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT PER PET SHOULD BE SENT WITH THE QUARANTINE BOOKING FORM.

Please note the above charges do not include any additional blood tests or veterinary procedures if necessary.
    Quarantine and MAF charges will be compulsory. Other charges will be as necessary.
    There may be additional charges for pets with special needs e.g nursing or diet.

All prices correct at Feb 2011. Subject to change without prior notice.

Pet Haven:

Quarantine & all associated MAF fees/Pethaven 10 days

$2,793.35 for TWO dogs (obviously half this fee for 1 dog)
    Last edited by auskiwi; 24th March 2011 at 04:46 AM.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

That's ridiculous! How can the charges NOT reduce?! We paid a little more for Maddy fopr the full 30 days!

Either way too expensive for my taste. Going to say goodbye to my cat. He's not worth that.

Sounds as if they need to be challenged on that. I suppose that most people needing 10 days' quarantine as of the new law won't know what the kennels charged for 30 days, so won't be objecting as fiercely as you informed folks.

Yeah, but not much that can be done about it . . . . I guess they know they have the upper hand. We either pay it, or don't bring the dog. So I guess I will be paying it!

Yep... I had 2 quotes... one for 30 days and one for 10 days...the difference was only about $300 between the two. They have more than doubled their daily rates. I also was NOT happy. I tried to contact the other place, but recieved no response. I will try again and post if I get a reponse.

I questioned the fees from Pet Haven and got this response:

"The reduced quarantine time will impact on all transitional facilities, hugely. The only way for us to stay in business is to increase our per day rate, sorry.

There are other transitional facilities you can contact if you are unhappy with our new price structure"

My email to them:

Thanks Robin. I'm surprised that the fees haven't reduced very much given the duration is being so drastically reduced :-( I also noticed that you have three weekly vet checks - is this necessary for a ten day stay? Is there any reduction if the dogs share a kennel?
    Thanks,

It definitely is tough that the fees haven't changed much but having our dog in quarantine for 30 days was very hard on us. I'm glad that they've changed the rules so you can get your dog or cat after just 10 days!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast