Thread: Commuting in Auckland

Default Commuting in Auckland

I am about to make the move to Auckland from London and have been looking at jobs online (seek.co.nz).
    I'm not sure what the public transport system in Auckland is like and would appreciate some input.
    I'll be initially living in Manurewa (S. Auckland) and wondered if it was possible to commute using public transport into Auckland Central?. Or should I just look at working a bit more local?.
    I currently work in the west end and commute approx. 50 min's each way - I know it will be different, but I want to know if it is possible and if anyone actually does it.
    Thanks in advance for any info.
    xx

Personally feel public transport not as good as in London or anywhere in UK... I can't answer your question as I am totally unaware about those places..new immigrant

Have a look at the Maxx website for everything about public transport:
    http://www.maxx.co.nz/
    You can play around with the journey planner and also get timetables and transport maps.

Gosh that brings back memories. I lived in Manurewa over 25 years ago and commuted into the central Auckland. Took either the bus or train. I'm sure it's still possible, and maybe easier these days as the trains go right into the centre now (they didn't then - yes it was THAT long ago!!)

Good luck!!
    Last edited by johampton; 24th March 2011 at 07:23 AM.

Hello and welcome.

I use to use a bus from the Britomart (transport centre bottom of Queens st in AKL City) and it took at least 50 mins to get close ish to Manurewa.
    Think actual Manurewa would take longer.
    At peak times this would be longer.

Thanks for the feedback. I think that I should maybe attempt it prior to getting a job to see if I think it'll be alright.
    50 min's is alright - it's my current commute.
    Although it is tempting to just get a job locally and not bother with this commuting lark

Auckland is so spread out, so wherever you are (that is out of central Auckland), it's gonna take a while.

Can I ask why you will be living in Manurewa? I guess you have both buses and trains which is a plus.

Look at the www.maxx.co.nz website as previously stated.

Yes it is possible, Manurewa to central Auckland (Britomart) takes 43 minutes on the train. Whether this is manageable or not will depend on how much effort it takes to get to the train station from where you are living, and again where you are working.

I am working in Newmarket at the moment with someone that takes the train in from Manurewa, so it can be done.

It is worth adding that a lot of effort has been put into the public transport by train in recent years. That doesn't mean that it is particularly good - it is just that a decade ago it was non-existent.

I'll be living in Manurewa with family when we arrive, but I guess jobs will dictate where we do eventually end up settling.