Thread: Flights from UK to Auckland

Question Flights from UK to Auckland

Hi all,

We are currently in the process of our EOI, my partner has a job offer, we are hoping to move in July/August. What do the majority of people do about flights? One way? Or return for the longest available time? If you opt for return flights I assume you are charged if you want to change the flights? Any ideas of how much might be?

Really just want to ensure we are getting the best value we can. Also not sure if it states any where you have to be in posession of a return flight on arrival in NZ? We have applied for skilled migrant visas.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hol

I have freiends who are Brits they always buy a return open ended from the UK as its a lot cheaper, they then use the return to go home once a year, if you can afford it! but open ended return would give you flexibility that you need you could then always get a refund!

We are just in the process of getting to NZ at the moment (currently having a few nights stop-over in LA), and decided to get return tickets as they only worked out just over £100 more each than one-way tickets. We had to book an initial return flight, but can change it any time after arriving in NZ for $50 each (if I remember correctly) providing it's the same booking class code and as long as we arrive back in the UK again within 1 year of the outbound flight. This is with Air NZ, so other airlines may differ.

Just to confirm if you do not have your visas sorted prior to departure from the UK you WILL need a return flight, or at least a flight out of NZ within the 6 months that a visitor visa allows you to stay.

I wasn't aware of this and we departed prior to visas sorted. Air New Zealand, who we travelled with, on the spot organised us flights from NZ to Oz 6 months ahead. This with a letter saying that if our visas were issued we would get a full rufunds.

Visas sorted about 5 weeks after arrival, got my refund back within 10 days............

kejktfc

You mentioned that your partner has a job offer. Have you asked if they will contribute towards relocation costs? Always worth a try.
    If the visa sticker in your passport states "outward passage waived", you can come into NZ on a one-way ticket, otherwise you need a return. (to the best of my knowledge etc etc)

Agree with everyone baove if you do not have your visa yet. We arrive in January 2011 and found that with a lot of airlines if you do not use you return flight you have to pay a forfeit, so one way tickets were the best option for us.... once we had the visas

Regarding Moomette and my own Air NZ experience - we bought return tickets in sale for 620 pounds with that option of changing return flight dates for 50 pounds. Be careful as you need to pay those 50 pounds plus any difference on the flight in the date you choose.

For us that meant paying over 230 pounds per each tickets later on so we didn't use them after all

Thanks for all the advice. we are hoping to travel after we have our residence sorted. Also yes my partner's job are paying for the flights now, so that's cool! But it's good to know how it all works. Got the medical tomorrow, hope all goes well.

Good luck for your medical tomorrow.

I noticed you are in Wiltshire... I'm orginally from Salisbury, but happily living in Auckland for nearly 2 years!