Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Operating Department Practitioners (ODP) in NZ

Default Operating Department Practitioners (ODP) in NZ

My son is due to start training as an ODP in September with a view to returning to NZ afterwards and working there. Are there any ODP's who are working in NZ? All the nursing agencies seem to have nursing jobs only. Are ODP's on the LTSSL? are they classed as theatre nurses like they are here? I don't want him to get his hopes up and find he can't get in.

ODPs are on skilled shortage, don't know what they are called on the list though. - ex colleague of OH moved out to Auckland Central a couple of years ago- it was pictures of their house that prompted us to move.

Simon

Thanks doreysc. I think they are called anaesthetic technicians in NZ. They seem to be only able to work in anaesthetics apparently although I did find out that in some private hospitals they have been able to scrub too. Would be interesting to see how your OH's friend was able to secure a job and what the registration process involved.

Apparently they register with New Zealand Anaesthetics Technician Society (NZATS) and found her job through a recruitment agency, initial contact via t'interweb she thinks, that's about all she knows off the top of her head.

It does sound like there is a clear theatre role demarcation in NZ health service - OH has a job offer as a theatre nurse at Auckland Central (same department as friend) and apparently theatre nurses scrub all day there unlike in UK where the nurses cover the whole perioperative process.

Simon

Thanks for that It has given him food for thought and helped us put a time line to our plans.

ODPs as a breed don't exist in NZ - although this may change as anaesthetic technicians are going to have to start being registered and regulated through their own body (similar to nurses via the nursing council).

The official title here is "anaesthetic technician" which is a job that can be taken by an ODP or a nurse who has done the technician course. The nurses tend to be on a higher salary band than the techs.

At my current hospital there are 2 techs from the UK who were originally ODPs and who now only do the anaesthetic side. The techs who are also nursing trained sometimes scrub / assist.

NZ is different from the UK in that an anaesthetist here requires "skilled and appropriately trained assistance" - which can be from a trained tech, an ODP, a nurse with an anaesthetic interest (or without if we're desperate!) or whoever's been rostered to anaesthetic duties that day. In the UK an anaesthetist requires an ODP to assist them.

I can find out more at work tomorrow if you would like...?

Thanks for that KatieBen. Any info you can glean would be great. I have already been in touch with the NZATS (the registering body) and have an idea of the registration requirements. Not quite the same as nursing but similar. Thanks again.

Not much more to find out! Seems you register with NZATS (for which you need a job offer) then come over oh and apparently there are loads of jobs so he may well be able to pick his choice of location!

Can recommend Prue at accent.net.nz as a good employment agency - they're based in Chch but place people all over the country.
    Last edited by KatieBen; 4th April 2011 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Afterthought

Thanks for that KatieBen. We will be settling back in Chch where we were before. So he has to have a job offer before he registers with NZATS? Normally you need to be registered to get a jobnot the other way round.

oops
    Last edited by snailandthewhale; 5th April 2011 at 10:15 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast