Thread: Whangarei Heads?

Default Whangarei Heads?

Are there any members who live in Whangarei Heads, or nearby? I think this is where I'm going to settle - and I'd like first hand info from someone in the area. Thanks.

I live in Whangarei, but have been out to the heads a fair bit. it is really beautiful out there.

The primary school has a really good reputation. Housing is more expensive out at the heads. However, although it is only about 25KM into Whangarei town it takes about an hour to travel from the heads to town.

The road is twisty and hilly. You need to decide how close you want to be to town amenities.

Also, after cyclone wilma a lot of the ropads were obstructed pretty badly with landfalls and rockfalls from the high land.

Hope that helps!

Many thanks! I drove the road a few weeks ago and wondered how long it would take to get to the nearest grocery store. I should have timed the drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Dell View Post
    Many thanks! I drove the road a few weeks ago and wondered how long it would take to get to the nearest grocery store. I should have timed the drive.
    I will ask my friend who is living in Onerahi - and is often using his boat in W/H.

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    I will ask my friend who is living in Onerahi - and is often using his boat in W/H.
    According to him it will take you around just 20 minutes from Whangarei Heads to Onerahi. That is the closest suburb with some "real" infrastructure like supermarkets etc. - and the airport (as you might know).
    Onerahi to Whangarei "CBD" is another 10 - 15 minutes.

Many thanks!!