Thread: Sleep Apnea?? Anyone??

Default Sleep Apnea?? Anyone??

Hi,
    Posted a thread on this before and got lots of views but no response.. so trying again....
    OH diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea (28/ hour) 5 years ago and wears CPAP machine, went for re-test last week and it's been downgraded to mild sleep apnea (10/ hour without CPAP machine....). What I did find out is that anything below 4 episodes an hour does not require CPAP therapy.Note from doctor says OH has responded well to CPAP therapy.
    We are submitting our ITA tomorrow... everything else is fine... bloodwork, x-rays, etc. The doctor noted no significant findings on any of our forms and put "fit for immigration" on OH's forms.
    I've searched on INZ medical waiver guide link and cannot find anything on sleep apnea.
    Any thoughts? Anyone???
    Perhaps the stress of mailing everything off tomorrow is getting to me

I wouldn't imagine it to be an immigration medical concern, but it could be an employment concern. DH as a driver would have a difficult time securing employment - it comes up in the regular medical checks.

Try not to over analyse things too much (easier said than done!). Good luck

As sleep apnoea doesn't require ongoing medical treatment I can't see it having an associated cost (like for example high blood pressure which requires meds) it shouldn't be a problem for immigration.

However, as the most common reason for sleep apnoea is obesity, they may want to make sure your partner's BMI and waist measurements are well within normal limits. Assuming those are OK, can't see an issue!

Good luck with the ITA

Yep, all okay... BMI, waist measurement, cholestral all within normal limits!

Quote Originally Posted by AngJones View Post
    Yep, all okay... BMI, waist measurement, cholestral all within normal limits!
    My DH was not overweight either, but was a terrible snorer with mild apnea - he had an operation to remove tonsils, uvula and tighten up his soft palate (uvulopalatopharyngoplasty) - cured the apnea and reduced the volume of the snoring. He still needs a nudge in the ribs though.

How was your outcome from all of this?

The original poster hasn't been on the forum since December of 2011, so may not see your question.

Thanks JandM, I'm not very experienced with forums and didn't check the date I hope they could get approved without issue!