Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medical Examination Fees - WOW!!!!

Default Medical Examination Fees - WOW!!!!

Hi there. I notice from doing a search that the examinations have become a bit more demanding, so it may explain the hefty fees we've been quoted.

On the face of it, not too bad. Adults £100, Children (10 and under - so an 11 year old is an adult : ) £70.

BUT....it's the extras that get you. Blood test is £10 each but there is an additional labortary charge of £16 per blood test and they reckon that the basic number is 7 tests per person!!!). Now, if I'm not very much mistaken, I calculate that blood tests will cost a minimum of £112 per person (though I think the children don't need the tests).

For our family of 6, we're looking at over £1,000 in medical fees and that's assuming there's no complications and doesn't include for X-rays etc. I'm not saying it's a show-stopper, but it seems an awful lot of money.

Has anyone had better experience in terms of fees (since the revised tests came into place)? I'd be more than prepared to take a day out and travel if it means we could get something a bit more reasonable.

Many thanks.

Steve

yeah i thought the same as you, but im a single fella, i work in the NHS and feel that it is a major rip off to pay such high prices, im sure ive read that the British Medical Association quotes a medical should cost £39.

Anway

what i did was delay my perm residence until im in New Zealand. Ive applied for a work permit and had it granted, so i can go to NZ and work in my job. To get that you need a job offer.

Then once in NZ i will be finishing my residence application, my EOI has been transferred to Wellington.

Medicals in NZ cost around $45 with $65 for the xray, huge difference.

I feel for you fella, paying that much is a shock but if it has t be done to get out there its worth it, but i got out of it, not sure if it would wor the same for you

Hiya
    We had a little discussion on this a while back, see here for some cost variations.

http://www.enz.org/forums/viewtopic....hlight=medical

However getting them done in NZ seems the better option
    Deborah

Irons, shop around mate, tell them to shove it coz that is excessive in any book.
    We had our medicals in Manchester recently and our costs were as follows:
    Adult meds - £90 Children (<10) £45
    X-rays (n/a for kids) £40
    Bloods £20 per test. Only test required unless you work in medical profession or have had piercings is for Syphilis. Otherwise you may have to stump up for HIV and Hepatitis B.
    This was for Dr. Million (no joke honest!) in Manchester.

Good luck mate! Our ITA went off yesterday so fingers crossed.

Steve - Aintree

I saw Dr Million a few days ago for my medical.

Dr Million is a really really nice chap, chatty funny and quick to put you at ease, I hate having medicals but even I found the experience ok.

I also hate needles, but the blood test was ok.

The practice is set up well for these medicals. There is a radiologist on the ground floor, parking right outside (that will cost you £4 for 2 hours) its easy to find (near the air and space museum which is sign-posted from the motorway) and there is a post office up the road for those passport pics that you leave on the kitchen table.

I did look around the north west and I know you can get an x-ray for £25, check out the list of radiologists and ring around. I didn’t bother getting the medical and x-ray from different places but there is nothing to stop you.

Regards Bob

HI Cardiff,
    Just my oppion but I think the Dr you spoke to is scamming you. Like StevieD I thought the standard was 2 test for Syphilis, you may have glucose intolerance done if your BMI is high or there is a history diabeties & Hep B HIV for health workers.
    Shop around, not much good to you as I live in the SE but had quotes ranging from £79 to £36 for the x-rays £110 -95 for the medicals including the standard blood tests for adults or £207- 160 for medical +bloods +Xray for adults as packages from all in one places.
    Either way the emigrating lark isn't cheep
    We haven't booked the medical as yet, we are holding of since it's only valid for 3 months it will be the last thing we do before submitting or ITA.
    All the best
    Debbie

Sorry Cardiff,
    mY error the standard , I think is 1 test no 2 as above.

Thanks Debbie, useful information. I may come back to you for some contact numbers (I'm originally from East London and still have lots of family in Essex, so popping back your way for the day would be no problem).

Thanks again

Hi Cardiff
    No problem just pm me if you want some more details. How far along with your application are you? We will be arranging our medicals in the next month/ 6 weeks as we have our ITA and are just waiting on police checks now. The medical is the last NZIS hurdel for us then we just have to tell the family :eek :eek :eek
    I'm such a wimp
    Debbie

Get this ...

We had our medicals done in Birmingham. Cost £550 for 2 adults and 2 children because the firm my hubby's job is with are an accredited employer in Auckland and we were told to apply for a Work to Residence Visa.

We duly applied ................ guess what?

NZIS write to us and tell us that we actually need a General Works Visa. So we had medicals for nothing GRRRRRRR.

£550 smackerooos down the pan for nowt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast