Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IRRV and renewing uk passports..

Default IRRV and renewing uk passports..

so our IRRV 2 year thingy is up in May, the kids need new passports august 2012. would you get the IRRV thingy sorted then renew or renew first and then IRRV? thinking cost vs aggro.

Quote Originally Posted by victoria24 View Post
    so our IRRV 2 year thingy is up in May, the kids need new passports august 2012. would you get the IRRV thingy sorted then renew or renew first and then IRRV? thinking cost vs aggro.
    Though not from UK but in a similar situation. I still haven't applied for permanent residence (formally IRRV). So I am opting for a new passport first.

I (we) have to fly to the embassy in Wellington for fingerprints. So we are still waiting for an occasion to combine it with other things.
    Last edited by ralf-nz; 30th March 2011 at 09:43 PM.

New passports then apply for IRRV otherwise you'll have to pay another fee to get the stickers transferred. Send old passports in with new ones when you apply for IRRV.

is there any disadvantage delaying getting the IRRV?

Spontaneously leaving and reentering NZ could become an issue.

There is one fellow forumite in RSA now with problems to return. Mentioned in a thread perhaps four months ago.

You could apply for the passports early. You need to check this out but I think up to 6 months 'unexpired time' can be added to a UK passport if renewed early. May not apply to child passports.

we can leave at any time and just re-enter on our current visas.. is this normal then?

Quote Originally Posted by norma View Post
    You could apply for the passports early. You need to check this out but I think up to 6 months 'unexpired time' can be added to a UK passport if renewed early. May not apply to child passports.
    It is actually 9 months...

You do not have to wait until your old passport expires to apply to renew it. If there is any time left on your old passport, IPS will add it to your new passport, up to maximum of nine months. You can renew your passport whenever you wish, but IPS cannot carry over more than nine months from your old passport to your new one.
    Ian

we can leave at any time and just re-enter on our current visas.. is this normal then?
    You can only return on your current visa whilst it is still valid - your first one runs out 2 years after being activated.

You will need a new one after this time but only if you are planning on leaving NZ and returning, it doesn't affect you if you delay the IRRV (or its new name).

Ian

If you left in June after the current visa turned invalid re reentering that might apparently cause trouble. As I wrote search for this particular thread about it. The guy was kind of devastated - understandably.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast