Thread: samsung telly LE40C580 compatibility?

Default samsung telly LE40C580 compatibility?

thinking about getting this before we go.

rang samsung - they said we can't guarantee it'll work.

downloaded the manual and it says this:

So if i'm able to read right it supports PAL B/G..

So are there any other standards/protocols it needs to support to work, and judging by that what do you lot think? worth a punt, or worth the wait...

cheers.

From the specs it should work on the analogue system in NZ, the integrated freeview receiver isn't compatible so it would probably depend what TV service you want to watch?

If you want to stay with analogue then be aware that this is being phased out from September 2012 in NZ.

If you are going to go Sky then it won't matter but if you are going to go freeview then it might be better to wait and get one that is integrated and works in NZ.

Currently 40" Full HD TVs are being sold in NZ for $900+ region and with that you will of course have no warranty issues.

Ian

Cheers for that Ian, I didn't know analogue was being phased out, will hold off till we get there.

Don't base the NZ prices on the advertised cost on Noel Leeming/Harvey Nroman/ JB Hifi websites. The actual price you pay will be significantly less than that.

Don't base the NZ prices on the advertised cost on Noel Leeming/Harvey Nroman/ JB Hifi websites. The actual price you pay will be significantly less than that.
    Correct, you'd actually be a fool if you paid sticker price.

I'm not aware of ANY modern flat panel TV that isn't compatible with video feeds anywhere in the world. All the lines are supported (480, 576, 720, 1080 in either progressive scan or interlaced) which means, the days where line frequency (ie 50hz 60hz) analog making up of PAL/SECAM/NTSC, etc. are a thing of the past.

I agree that having an external Freeview receiver is an inconvenience as it requires 2 things to turn on. You would want it all integrated into the TV so one push of a button and that's OK. Of course you could just leave the receivers on (Sky & Freeview) but these HD boxes consume quite a bit of power than most people think.

Quote Originally Posted by Super_BQ View Post
    I'm not aware of ANY modern flat panel TV that isn't compatible with video feeds anywhere in the world. All the lines are supported (480, 576, 720, 1080 in either progressive scan or interlaced) which means, the days where line frequency (ie 50hz 60hz) analog making up of PAL/SECAM/NTSC, etc. are a thing of the past.
    You would think so wouldn't you, however this isn't the case, in fact the standards listed in full are e.g. 1080p50 and 1080p60 (amongst others) where the last number is the frame rate (frequency) that they support.

This of course doesn't affect the OP as they are coming from the UK which has the same frequency as NZ but it does affect those from e.g. US.

See http://www.enz.org/forum/showpost.ph...1&postcount=21 for an example where it didn't work.

Of course this doesn't mean that all modern flat panel TVs from the US won't work, just that not all of them meet the requirements.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    You would think so wouldn't you, however this isn't the case, in fact the standards listed in full are e.g. 1080p50 and 1080p60 (amongst others) where the last number is the frame rate (frequency) that they support.

This of course doesn't affect the OP as they are coming from the UK which has the same frequency as NZ but it does affect those from e.g. US.

See http://www.enz.org/forum/showpost.ph...1&postcount=21 for an example where it didn't work.

Of course this doesn't mean that all modern flat panel TVs from the US won't work, just that not all of them meet the requirements.

Ian
    And thats exactly why I asked the question devils always in the detail.

I had another think about it last night, and we decided that the freeview channels weren't really that great and we would probably get sky anyway so I've taken a punt and bought it, if all else fails it's a spare monitor I spose.

So whats the m.o. for places like noel leeming and bond and bond then - haggle like you're on Tottenham Court Road?

Also watch out for when any store is having sales, or items are on special - it's very frequent. And even then, haggle.

There are parts of the country, certainly here in North Canterbury where some channels are broadcast in the VHF rather than UHF waveband. I may be wrong but I don't think any UK sourced TV will have a VHF tuner.