Thread: Shipping container- ? re destination address

Default Shipping container- ? re destination address

Hi,

I am moving in May - OH & Dogs in June. I will stay in B&B till OH arrives and then hope to rent a furnished holiday home for 8 weeks till container arrives.

Problem is all the removal companies I got quotes from say that container can't leave here until we have address for final destination.

Is it ok to give holiday home address initally so at least furniture will be on its way and we will definitly have an unfurnished house for container when it arrives.

I would prefer to look for house when OH arrives as he will have time free to look into locations/view houses.

Can we do this- give an inital address and change it before container arrives in Welly

Thanks

Get a new removal company who is used to doing international moves. Very few people know where they are going, and most will give a quote to something like a 20km radius of a specified point in a town. In my case then 20km of the Tga Crown depot.

They really only want an address for contact purposes should something happen (i.e. a delay, you don't turn up in NZ etc). We gave a relatives address, telling the removal company that this would not be the delivery address, just a contact point. We also gave them a provisional storage address (i.e. rental storage unit) and they were happy with having either. So even if you just have a friend or prospective employer who doesn't mind being a contact point - that should be fine.

If you're taking dogs too - the pet company will usually want the same thing (if they are good) again just in case something goes wrong - they need to know they can contact someone at that end to collect your dogs.

Duncan- the companies I got quotes from all do international removals. They have no problem giving me a quote for shipement-problem is they won't ship without a definite destination address.

April- Thanks- just wondering when you initally gave relatives address when were you able to change it to where you were actually going to rent? When container arrived in NZ was it easy enough to get container with a new address for delivery then address you had previously submitted?

We don't know anyone in NZ so I was hoping my mobile number as contact in NZ and our holiday rental address as an inital contact/address of destination would be ok until I can give a definite address before container arrives

Thanks

Crown, Anglo and Allied were all OK. May be an Irish export rule I suppose.

We used Robinsons and they wanted an address. We changed delivery address a few times, right up until we left the UK.