Thread: how much tax - temporary jobs

Default how much tax - temporary jobs

Hi Forumites,

I was hoping someone could help me with this. We moved here in January and whilst I’m working on a permanent basis, OH is currently working on a temporary job. The job will only last 2 months – seasonal type – from March till May.

Does anyone know how much tax is he meant to be paying? He will definitely earn less than $14k before the end of March (financial year). Does this mean he only needs to pay 10% tax? He is being taxed in average more than 20%. Can he claim this back? How?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Natalia79 View Post
    Hi Forumites,

I was hoping someone could help me with this. We moved here in January and whilst I’m working on a permanent basis, OH is currently working on a temporary job. The job will only last 2 months – seasonal type – from March till May.

Does anyone know how much tax is he meant to be paying? He will definitely earn less than $14k before the end of March (financial year). Does this mean he only needs to pay 10% tax? He is being taxed in average more than 20%. Can he claim this back? How?

Thanks
    Did you already check here? http://www.ird.govt.nz/income-tax-individual/

Most likely he'll have the tax withheld as if he was earning that amount each month over the full year.

Around August he should go online and request a Personal Tax Summary (PTS). The PTS will show the amount overpaid and you can organise the repayment then.

NB: Best to use the Personal Tax Summary calculator first (before asking for the PTS) as this will show if you owe tax ... in which case you can ignore it and not ask for a PTS; if you request a PTS and end up owing tax though then you'll have to pay the tax!.

Thanks james/ralf. I will look into this.