Thread: Residency due to parents in NZ

Question Residency due to parents in NZ

Right, here goes.
    Wife and I have been in NZ for 5 yrs via UK. We have PR.
    No. 1 son (actually my stepson) came out here on a 1 year working hol visa last April. He was due to go on to Australia when his visa expired, but his circumstances have changed. As a result, he has applied for, and been granted, an extension to his visa, up till immigration make a decision on whether or not to give him a further 12 months working hol ( following so far?)
    He would like to try for PR, but does not have any specific skills etc, so has been looking into other ways of acheiving it. To this end, he has been told by someone in NZ immigration, that if he were to move to Germany, for instance ( he has a German girlfriend), he could then apply for PR in NZ from there as he has no siblings in Germany. This has been suggested as a good way to go about gaining PR, as he does have a brother still in the UK.

From personal experience, I know that not everything that comes from employees of NZ govt depts is correct, and on this occasion I find it a little hard to believe that it would be as simple as moving to another country on a temporary basis to bend the rules.

Any thoughts????
    And yes, I am fully aware that any info given is 100% UN_OFFICIAL

Wow I thought that only children under certain age (21?) can apply for residence through parents living in NZ. Could you please keep this post updated as I am really interested in any info regarding this.

And good luck of course!

I am fairly sure this is right. I can't get onto the INZ website at the moment to find you a link, but if you can get to it, it will be on the pages about family stream, sponsoring an adult child. I believe the thinking is that it's okay to bring an isolated member of the family to join the NZ part.

Quote Originally Posted by 70m45 View Post
    Wow I thought that only children under certain age (21?) can apply for residence through parents living in NZ. Could you please keep this post updated as I am really interested in any info regarding this.

And good luck of course!
    There are different regulations for children who are financially dependent on their parents (so this includes most who have gone straight from school to university), and adult working ones. Again, it's all there on the INZ website, when we can get at it (it's probably being updated at the moment). From memory, there is a capped quota for independent adult children, so there is a long wait for the case even to be considered, and the person has to have a job offer waiting. As well as that, the parents have to sponsor them, i.e. formally state (and they can be held to this) that they will support them financially in various stated ways if necessary.

I don't know for sure and I can't back this up with where I saw it but I'm sure I read about a situation like this before. It may have even been on the NZIS site where you can see declined applications and why they weren’t approved. Maybe someone more knowledgeable could supply the link.

It was a parental application rather than child but some things sounded the same. The parents were living in one European country with children scattered around in others. One in NZ, others back in the home country and one somewhere else. They applied to get in to NZ as a parental application using the one child here who was a perm resident. Their application was declined because although they weren't living in their country of citizenship there was a child still there. NZ immigration argued that the could easily move back to their home country and be with the children living there which made them ineligible for the parental visa application. Again I can’t back this up but I would do some serious research into the plan before trying it. It all just sounds very easy and seems like a very open loop hole that would be extremely easy to take advantage of. You never know though, NZIS isn’t always logical.