Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pool

Default Pool

We are currently house hunting and have come across a house which is ideal regards location and size etc but comes with a pool. This is something that we have not considered before and don't know anything about.

Does anyone have any ideas about the costs (hassle?) of maintaining a pool. It's dimensions are 7m x 4.5m7 x1.2m deep. It's also solar heated.

Can anyone recommend any internet resources which we could use to educate ourselves?

M&J

I've got a pool, it depends on how you define "hassle".

Is it a chlorine or salt water pool? I grew up with a salt water pool and it seemed like less work than the chlorine pool we have now, that said - I don't think there are many salt water pools in NZ.

Parts wise, there's not a lot that can go wrong with a chlorine pool, its a pump and filter. I replaced both of mine by buying parts off trademe for <$300.

Does it have a cover? Mine does, and in winter I basically leave the cover on and run the pump a few times a week to keep the water moving.

Come summer time, I take a sample to the pool shop and load up on chemicals.

The most important chemical is obviously chlorine, I use a floating dispenser that has tablets in it that slowly releases chlorine. A $40 container lasts me a couple of months. You have to keep it going all year.

Expect to spend $200 at the start of summer on chemicals, and as long as you keep the chlorine up and keep the pump running regularly, you should be fine.

Don't have any websites specifically in mind, I just google whenever I have a problem.

Thanks Vicked. didnt know you could take a sample to a pool shop.

doesnt sound so bad really. and we were thinking to empty it over winter and start again in the spring as one website says you need to change the whole water at least once a year anyway. will pay a visit to a pool shop and see if they have any info pamphlets too.

M&J

Not sure about emptying it. SOme you can't empty, as it relies on the weight/forces of the water to keep the walls upright (try pushing an empty pan of water level in a bath). The try with a pan full of water - which do you think stresses the sides of the pan most?). However that size pool should be fine.

Also, an empty pool may still leave the pipes with still water in and if that freezes then you're in big trouble. In reality a pool with some pump movement each day isn't going to freeze, so you'd probably protect youself and save money by keeping it full.

The balance in our pool was all over the place, kept turning green..[algae]
    We decided to get someone to look after it over the summer, from which we learnt alot about which chemicals were best & how to care for it properly.

Our pool is not designed to be emptied.

I would imagine it would cost you a fare amount in water also to refill it.

The filter needs to run a lot less in winter & chemicals would be minimal, you still need to keep an eye on it though to make sure it doesn't turn green or anything like that.

Have a 40000 litre pool cost $60 to fill it last spring.

thanks guys. looks like a trip to the local pool shop will be needed.
    we dont get frost where we live so no danger of pool/pipes freezing, but still need to find out whats what!
    we've had an accepted offer on the house, so looks like will have some unexpected pool fun!

Congratulations on the house!

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    Not sure about emptying it. SOme you can't empty, as it relies on the weight/forces of the water to keep the walls upright
    Quote Originally Posted by janrzm View Post
    Our pool is not designed to be emptied.
    When such a pool is built there is no water in it, isn't it? How is the pool stabilised then? Temporary propping until it is filled?

(I am trying to understand this from a structural perspective.)
    Last edited by ralf-nz; 9th April 2011 at 10:43 PM.

Our pool is concrete so it's nothing to do with the structure, the reason it isn't designed to be emptied is to do with the pool liner.
    A vacumn is used to seal the liner to the concrete & the water keeps it in place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast