Thread: Shipping in new items from the USA

Default Shipping in new items from the USA

We are bringing a container in June and would like to put in some things that are cheaper to buy here in the states, than in NZ (such as a new soft sided swimming pool and a bbq - both in boxes).

I am wondering what the duty / taxes will be on items that are new and in the boxes as it would be safer to transport them in their original unopened packaging. Has anyone had any experiences with this? What is the duty rate on new items? Will the customs people value the items based on receipts I bring with me, or the value of the items in NZ?
    Thanks,
    Amy.

I called the US Embassy in Washington D.C. to ask about shipping new items in my 20' container - in my case, art supplies that I need to earn a living. I was told I will be charged 15% GST (tape invoice to box) and a tiny percentage of the shipping. No duty.
    But I'm an ex-pat Kiwi - not sure if this makes a difference.

For me, 15% GST is still a lot cheaper than buying the products in NZ so I plan on stocking up.

By the way - what sort of soft-sided swimming pool are you planning on bringing to NZ? I purchased an Easy-Set soft sided pool (12' x 36" deep) for my grandkids last summer. A couple of weeks ago, I saw exactly the same pool in Warehouse/NZ for less than what I paid in the U.S.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

If you use the items just once, they will be considered used so no duty to pay.

Thanks, Dell - we are looking at an Intex Ultra framed 16" x 48" pool. It is on sale here for $399 - do you think we would be able to buy something similar in NZ for the same price?

Manks - thanks for the suggestion to use our items at least once...I think I'd rather pay 15% than spend several days assembling and then disassembling...not to mention the fact that I'm quite sure once some items are out of their boxes there is a high likelihood they will never fit in them again! The pool at $399 is the most expensive thing we are thinking of bringing in too.

Amy.

Don't forget that you'll need to install a fence around the pool with a locking gate. There are fairly strict rules about pools / spas in NZ to prevent (reduce) the numebr of drownings.

Hmmm. Forgot about the fence rule. I think we'll forget the pool idea - thanks for the reminder Duncan!

Default How'd it go?

What company did you use for shipping? Would you recommend them? We've been talking with UPakWeShip, but I'm having some reservations about them based on some web reviews I just came across.

Intex same size $1300 ($1100 USD) as opposed to about $650 in the US (that $399 price you found is really really low):

http://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/red/ca...ch?SKU=1179771

12ft $450
    http://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/red/ca...2ft?SKU=969181

8ft $150
    http://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/red/ca...8ft?SKU=757121
    Last edited by tk1; 13th September 2011 at 08:30 AM.