Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to avoid?

The North Shore - awful place!!

Living in Welcome Bay we love it but in saying that there are a couple of streets we avoid. And as Duncan said it tends to be street based avoidance in most suburbs.

When we arrived in Tauranga we did about 200 drive bys in the first few weeks in our search for a rental and got a feel of the layout of Tauranga and we found some of the areas that are supposed to be "special" not very appealing to us at all. Also there is this historical (hysterical) kind of view by some of the long time living here folk with stories of:
    • Levers Road, Matua (special area) dont live on the left of the road always on the right. Historically there was a lot of flooding and so houses were damp. This was fixed many many years ago and a lot of the houses are relatively new in that area.
    • Welcome Bay you dont really want to live there as there is lots of crime and not very nice people. This relates to sometime in the 80s and it was one family apparently.
    • The Avenues are very nice but the problem is that houses are very cold and damp in most instances as they are old with no insulation. Again we like the Avenues but it was too close to the CBD for us.
    these are just three examples and i could go on but i wont. The phrase 'mud sticks' comes to mind but as previous posters have said what is good for me you probably would think differently on and you need to be here to do your own real research.

I wish you luck in your journey though.............been here 2 years and it was the best move we have ever made, have no wish to go back to the UK not even to visit

If you think Wainuiomatas is "interesting to drive through" have a look at Naenae, Taita , Waiwhetu and Pomare and Timberlea -
    )

Default not gangs of kids...just gangs

Quote Originally Posted by stockport2nz View Post
    In my opinion, a bad area would include:
    High crime rate
    Gangs of kids hanging about on street corners (Hoodies etc)
    Under age drinking on the streets
    Litter
    Graffiti
    General run down areas

Now don't get me wrong, even the best areas will have the odd case of the above, but it's when a suburb is all of the above, that's what I'd like to avoid!

We are looking at houses in the bay of plenty area. Any ideas of the best and worst areas?
    The Mongrel Mob and their rivals are bad news here. Initiation into them is committing a serious crime, like gang rape. Leaving means being seriously beaten up, if you survive it. We aren't just talking about disaffected youth.

It seems, from my biased experience, that the more dairies there are per square kilometre in any given residential area, the less desirable the area is....

If I was in the fortunate position of being able to choose, I would definitely give Christchurch a miss.

I suppose that NZ won't have anywhere near the issues that UK has now, due to the very small population - around 4 Million in total?

London officially has around 8 million but it's apparently nearer to 13 million because of figures for illegal immigrants etc

With a county of just about equal size, but with (officially) 60 million people, problems are bound to be compounded.

Quote Originally Posted by relocate2014 View Post
    I suppose that NZ won't have anywhere near the issues that UK has now, due to the very small population - around 4 Million in total?

London officially has around 8 million but it's apparently nearer to 13 million because of figures for illegal immigrants etc

With a county of just about equal size, but with (officially) 60 million people, problems are bound to be compounded.
    Well, yes and no. It depends on various factors like types of government, political corruption, types of policies and infrastructure etc...

However, in a small place like NZ, it's much harder for people to live isolated in their socio-economic groups, especially in the the smaller cities. The growing income and education gaps become extremely pronounced in those areas.

Hi everyone
    I got a job in Avondale and I´m looking for a home in a calm neighborhood and where the way towards to the job will be not "as fast as a turtle" in the traffic jam. I´m thinking to live in Lynfield, Henderson, Massey or Glendene. What are your recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Crust View Post
    Hi everyone
    I got a job in Avondale and I´m looking for a home in a calm neighborhood and where the way towards to the job will be not "as fast as a turtle" in the traffic jam. I´m thinking to live in Lynfield, Henderson, Massey or Glendene. What are your recommendations?
    Without knowing anything about your budget or if you need schools, etc, I'd say yes to Lynfield and also suggest Avondale, Mt Albert, Blockhouse Bay, Green Bay, Titirangi.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast