Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Do you know how to pronounce 'Qin'?

Quote Originally Posted by fury147 View Post
    I'm all for retaining culture etc etc etc. But I think it's up to your daughter - maybe you could ask her if she wants an unofficial English name, and if it stays, you could make it official. The only issue I have with Qin is the fact that it is pronounced "chin".... and naming someone Chin in an English speaking environment is a little weird, just as it would if it was any other name of a body part. I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but children can be cruel.

Also, from personal experience, as a huuuuuge generalisation, I found students who kept their asian names were often less "integrated" into NZ society. Nothing wrong with that, but it often means there are assumptions and judgements about those children.

Another note, if you do choose an English name, please choose something meaningful/similar to her asian name/relatively contemporary. I went to school in NZ with lots of asian students called Betty/Shirley/Eunice/Linda/Anne. Don't know any kiwis with those names at my age!
    LOL...yeah....i agree children can b cruel sometimes...and yes...i want my kids to retain the goodness of our culture but still enjoy friends with different cultures..may b i'll let her decide what English name she wants when she grows up...

Quote Originally Posted by dharder View Post
    i keep thinking of the sketch from 'goodness gracious me' (asian british comedy show), where a number of indians and one english guy sit around a table. They are being introduced to each other, and the english guy's name is 'jonathan,' which makes no sense at all to the indian people around the table, and they immediately make fun of pronunciation versions and the difficulty of the name ('who calls their child 'jonathan', they will have a hard time in life, who can pronounce that, etc').

Daniela
    lol....

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Surely every name is this - just the noise used to attract that person's attention. (Yes, I'm being a bit picky. )
    Can I put a 'Like' here as in facebook...?

If you click on the little scales top right of a post, you give Reputation to the poster. (Details here. http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3790)

Qin as in musical instrumental? Nice name

Smile

Appy, Escapee, Familyofmonkeys,

Thanks for your reply, it's so encouraging to know most of the ppl in NZ are open to different cultures and kind....

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by fayevalentine View Post
    Qin as in musical instrumental? Nice name
    Hey Faye, you r back....long time haven't heard frm u in the forum...how's ur interview preparation? mine is on 22nd Sept...

Too bad is not that Qin in musical instrumental.....but her whole name means 'wisdom flowing'...we hope she will have the wisdom to led a life with happiness..

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    If you click on the little scales top right of a post, you give Reputation to the poster. (Details here. http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3790)
    Thanx JandM, another thing u teach me

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleLoh View Post
    Hey Faye, you r back....long time haven't heard frm u in the forum...how's ur interview preparation? mine is on 22nd Sept...

Too bad is not that Qin in musical instrumental.....but her whole name means 'wisdom flowing'...we hope she will have the wisdom to led a life with happiness..
    Hihi Nicole! Yeah.. Been busy with work and all..

I just had my interview this morning!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567