Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you know how to pronounce 'Qin'?

Talking Do you know how to pronounce 'Qin'?

my daughter's name is 'Qin', I've got some experience that the teacher in the preschool class having problem to pronounce her name so I started to wonder whether to get her a english name to make it easier for her to social and mix w ppl, but I hope I don't have to because there's meaning in her chinese name and I want her to know.

Just curious... do you know how to pronounce 'Qin?
    Do you feel the person alienated when she has a chinese name that u find it hard to pronounce?
    for non-westerner, do you give ur kids an english name so it's easier for them to mix ard (if their name in your own language might not be easy to pronounce for ppl other than ur race)?
    Thanks for spending ur time to read (long winded me)

I'd pronounce it 'Kin' not having any experience of the Chinease language. I wouldn't change it, it was her given name so she should stay that way, it's not just difficult names that have this problem, my name is Lindsey & out here it is more commonly spelt LindsAy, so can be pronnounced that way too, drives me nuts & has been mis spelt & prounounced all my life but I just correct everyone

Either 'Kin' or 'Chin'; I wouldn't know.

I would not change it or add another name. However you should accept different pronunciations to the correct one. That happens also with my name which occurs in both languages, my mother tongue and English, but is pronounced differently in them.

I would pronounce it "Chin". Your daughter has a beautiful name and continuing to use it will enrich the lives of all who meet her. People not knowing how to pronounce her name is not an impediment to social mixing because once she has taught them the correct pronunciation they will remember her all the more. It's not a complex name to learn.

However, there is no shame in adopting a western name. In Hong Kong almost all children take on a Western name in addition to their Chinese name, often choosing their own name. Sometimes a Western name is selected which sounds somewhat like their Chinese name. They do it for pragmatic reasons and are totally comfortable using either name.

Personally, I see absolutely no reason to change your daughter's name. But equally there is no shame in doing so.

I would pronounce it as Chin.
    Have the same problem with my name and my son's name (Nienke and Wouter), we spend a lot of time spelling it out and explaining how to pronounce it....

I would say Quin but understand this probably isn't right. My daughters name is Celtic and is mispronounced a lot too. We wondered whether to choose it, as we knew it would be a problem. But we're not sure we will stay in NZ and really liked it so went ahead. I've had more issues with her surname but am not going to change that.

I think there is a much greater variety of names in NZ and your daughter will not stand out for having a name with a slightly different pronunciation. I also know a lot of Malaysians who use two different names and it isn't an issue. But if the name has a special meaning for you, stick with it. People can learn!

Don't change it. It's her name and you chose it for her. I'm training to be a teacher and to my shame I am both hopeless at remembering names and not great at pronouncing unfamiliar names, but I keep going and get there in the end. I think the very least we can do is learn someone's name

PS I'd hazard a guess at Che-in, but I wouldn't put money on my guess!

I am Chinese and didn't adopt a western name when I moved to the UK. Three days into school the kids gave me a name, a rather nice one, which I still use (after eons now).

I'd ask apologise for my ignorance, and ask if it's pronounced Chin.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast