Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shipping quotes for 40' container - are they reasonable?

I would recommend that once you have shortlisted down to your top 3 companies you go back to them and say that they are in your shortlist for the service they provide, however it now comes down to price how can they reduce their charges. Interestingly all reduced their fees the most by up tp 800, the markets not strong at the moment and they are very keen to get the buisness.

we have agreed to use Crown relocations based in NZ, there original quote was $16k so with the exchange rate as it is about 8k stirling, but with a bit of pushing we are now down to 6k stirling all in and as its a NZ company we dont have to pay until the container arrives so this gives us an extra 3 months to find all the cost, and with a bit of sweet talking i managed to include a month of storage and 2 boxes sent over by air.

Crown have been great in NZ and really will try to do anything you ask.

so they are booked in for 20th september and the container 2 days later. should be fun trying to get that in our little cul de sac.

cheers

Simon

I cannot help you with quotes as we are shipping from the US but we are using Rainier and so far so good. I got a quote from a separate insurance co in NZ for our belongings and went back to shipping company and got a cheaper quote from them.
    For preparing for packing we hid everything we wanted to carry on plane (put in in closets, in bathrooms etc) and stuffed our dressers full of clothes etc. They repacked and inventoried but were very profesional and efficient. We had a few things packed we didn't meant to be (electrical clocks that won't work there) and the left 1 table base (our fault) and a bed item (their fault) which they are going to reimburse us to mail.

We bought lunch and drinks for guys as they were working in 103 degree heat but otherwise went very smoothly. We had our stuff go last Monday.

I just dusted off everything and really cleaned our hiking boots and sand off chairs.

good luck.

Good luck.

We used Crown (Ireland) too - one of the big advantages was that Crown have offices here so we were put in contact with Crown staff in NZ for when our container arrived. We also got a month's storage included in our deal and we didn't pay anything extra for MAF or delivery in NZ.

We did have a few things damaged in transit but nothing major nor of sentimental value and we were able to claim on our insurance, which we had taken independent of Crown.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    $16k from Glossop to Tauranga at xmas. Did have a cheaper quote at about 13k but went with Crown. Note that crown include all the fees (didn't pay anything extra), Anglo Pacific you'll have additional charges (see other posts on this issue) which equalises the prices a bit. We paid in NZD as I was already here and it was arranged via my work. Actually worked well as the contract was at this end, and when we had to have a discussion on some issues then all the arrangements being from this end helped. DOn't think it would have been quite so easy having to do all the discussions via phone in the middle of the night. Despite some issues we had, then I'd still recommend Crown and would use them again for moves in NZ.
    I know this is an old thread but could you elaborate on the 'additional charges' with AP please, Duncan

Just by way of contrast, we went the completely DIY route with our 40' container. We dealt directly with Maersk for the shipping, arranged the trucking and packed it ourselves and did all the customs and MAF stuff. It's not that hard.

Total cost (in 2002) came out just under UKP2500.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12