Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hair dye?

Default Hair dye?

Does anyone know if we are allowed to bring hair dye, or is it not allowed? If it is, I was hoping to stock up a bit a bring some with me.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

You get the same hair dyes here as you would anywhere else and The Warehouse often has sales which means they're just as cheap (if not cheaper) than buying them in the US. I think I paid NZ$9 for my last one (Nice n Easy foam).

Quote Originally Posted by mighty mouse View Post
    Does anyone know if we are allowed to bring hair dye, or is it not allowed? If it is, I was hoping to stock up a bit a bring some with me.
    I don't think you might have to worry as long as its sealed and goes with your check-in luggage, after all you are not bringing any banned substance

Quote Originally Posted by Sun777 View Post
    I don't think you might have to worry as long as its sealed and goes with your check-in luggage, after all you are not bringing any banned substance
    The OP hasn't specified if it's shipping or luggage.

Either way, I have never dared to pack any on an aircraft and wouldn't want to ship in a container. These are chemicals at the end of the day and, in either case, you're taking them outside of the parameters within which they're designed to be stored (extreme cold in an aircraft hold and extreme heat in a container). It could make them potentially dangerous.

I wouldn't risk stocking up and shipping either way.

You will note that the CAA prohibits the carriage of "bleach" on an aircraft http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/guide-to-dangerous-goods

Whether you determine hair dye to be bleach is another matter - but I wouldn't risk it. If we're talking about carrying it on as luggage I would check with the airline.

But I stick with my statement above about being outside the parameters anyway (unless it's in carry on baggage - but then you're in a presurised environment which, to me, also equates to outside the parameters).

Okay, thanks everyone!

Second question then: do you carry "Ion" brand hair products over there? I really like the dye I use, and would like to stick with it, if possible.

Actually I got couple of African drums (made of leather) via air and nothing happened to them, shampoos, toothpaste etc never melted/leaked from my check-in stuff.....so not sure if hair dye would burst open

Quote Originally Posted by Manks View Post
    The OP hasn't specified if it's shipping or luggage.

Either way, I have never dared to pack any on an aircraft and wouldn't want to ship in a container. These are chemicals at the end of the day and, in either case, you're taking them outside of the parameters within which they're designed to be stored (extreme cold in an aircraft hold and extreme heat in a container). It could make them potentially dangerous.

I wouldn't risk stocking up and shipping either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sun777 View Post
    Actually I got couple of African drums (made of leather) via air and nothing happened to them, shampoos, toothpaste etc never melted/leaked from my check-in stuff.....so not sure if hair dye would burst open
    But none of those things are strong, reactive chemicals - unlike hair dye.

Mighty Mouse - I just did a quick google search and nothing is coming up in NZ. But I don't even recognise this brand from the US!

Quote Originally Posted by Manks View Post
    But none of those things are strong, reactive chemicals - unlike hair dye.

Mighty Mouse - I just did a quick google search and nothing is coming up in NZ. But I don't even recognise this brand from the US!
    Really? It's sold in beauty stores here... it's really nice, and doesn't dry out hair at all. I suppose I'll have to find something new when I get over there!

Quote Originally Posted by mighty mouse View Post
    Really? It's sold in beauty stores here... it's really nice, and doesn't dry out hair at all. I suppose I'll have to find something new when I get over there!
    That'll be why I don't know it. I don't go in beauty stores! (I'm not worthy!)

It might be my hair type but mine doesn't dry out with colouring. I usually get greasy helmet hair from my bike helmet though!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast