Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bringing Household items and car

Default Bringing Household items and car

Hi,
    I am planning to settle in NZ shortly and permanently . So I would like to bring my house hold items as well as my car to NZ.
    Can you pleas advice me on how much “Custom duty” that I may have to pay for this if I bring these item via container?

Don't know about cars but households good don't cost any duty. Only brand new items that haven't been used and are obviously new will be charged for. I brought a new washing machine, hundreds of bedding items and towels, cleaning products, food and garden furniture - just unwrapped it all and stuck it in with everything else - no problem.

Very much depends on the visa you are given. You need to check the customs site, not the NZIS website.

Quote Originally Posted by April View Post
    Don't know about cars but households good don't cost any duty. Only brand new items that haven't been used and are obviously new will be charged for. I brought a new washing machine, hundreds of bedding items and towels, cleaning products, food and garden furniture - just unwrapped it all and stuck it in with everything else - no problem.
    Just interested what cleanong products and food items you brought as I was told couldn't bring any

All cans, jars, bottles, packets etc, so long as there are no whole seeds or meat/fish products (though we did bring tinned tuna and some of our herb/spice rack contained seeds!). Also everything must be properly sealed. All cleaning products except aerosols and dangerous substances.

Moving companies say you can't bring anything that's on the watch list - the list doesn't mean you can't bring them, just be sensible with them and declare them.

The MAF guy even said to me 'the British for some reason think you have to paint garden tools before you bring them here' - he thought it was hilarious, as they only need to be clean. We did paint ours too though - oops.

A word of caution before you decide to get your car. You need to ascertain if the car is exempt from having to meet Frontal impact and emission standards.
    There are numerous other standards that the car must meet such as exterior impact, door retention ,glazing ,lighting interior impact etc and for this you would need a proof of compliance with these other standards.

So better to check with your car dealer before taking a decision.

(or as per the other thread this week on this, drop wally.gee@aa.co.nz an email and ask)

Yes, Wallys the best guy around to get this sorted out.
    You will have to provide him with the Vin Number, Chassis Number, & Engine Number with snaps of all the plates that have been attached to your car.

Quote Originally Posted by April View Post
    All cans, jars, bottles, packets etc, so long as there are no whole seeds or meat/fish products (though we did bring tinned tuna and some of our herb/spice rack contained seeds!).
    i buy dry grains and beans in bulk to save money and to store- anyone know if these are allowed in?

The grains must be heat treated and rendered non-viable and, in my opinion, it is, at that point, non-viable as a food as well. I got this direct form MAF. I wanted to bring bulk grains as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast