Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shipping companies - agghhhhhhhh

Default Shipping companies - agghhhhhhhh

I've received three quotes for shipping a 20' container from northern Arizona to NZ. They've all been between US$8000 and $9700. The most convenient company (Allied) was the highest quote for a shared container but also said that my cost will be $200 for every 100 lbs. When I asked for clarification I was even more confused.

I just read kiwinett's post where she gave her quotes for a 40' container which will include their car.
    1st: £5,600
    2nd: £5,900
    3rd: £7,800

The last time I looked at the map, the UK hasn't drifted any closer to NZ. It's about 18,000 K from London to Auckland and 10,000 K from Phoenix, Arizona to Auckland yet her quote for a 40' container is the same as my quote for a 20' container.

Perhaps kiwinett is near a major port and I'm a 10 hour drive from the coast. Could this explain the huge discrepancy?

Also, are these quotes fixed or can I bargain with the shipping company and ask for a better price.

Thanks...

I can't add a whole lot but I got a quote for a 20ft container from, middle of the mountains in Colorado to Wellington for around $10k, think it was from Rainier. The rates may be negotiable but I wouldn't waste time comparing them to those from a different country.

Depends on shipping routes. My container went from the UK to scandanavia, back to the UK through the suez, to china and then found it's way to NZ (all in 6 weeks). I'd be really surprised if your container went straight from your port to AKL/TGA/WEL. The container costs aren't that much of the total cost, it's the packing and handling charges, which may be higher in the US than the UK.

One other thing, international shipping is GST/VAT/Sales Tax exempt. Not sure if there are any taxes in the US applied to shipping. May be a case of where there is a difference in favour of the UK compared to the oft quoted rip off Britain.

We used Crown last time (in 2006) and will likely use them again in June. We have been really happy with their customer service.
    Amy.

Here is their latest quote:

On Mar 17, 2011, at 6:49 PM, Crown International Forwarder wrote:

Re: Ocean shipment of 40ft container said by you to contain: Household Goods/Personal Effects from Oakland, OR to Auckland, New Zealand.
    Thank you for your inquiry in reference to the above mentioned.
    We are pleased to quote you as follows:
    Origin: Oakland, OR
    Destination: Auckland, New Zealand
    Mode of Transportation: Via Ocean
    Commodity: Household Goods/Personal Effects
    Quote: US$5350.00 per 40ft container ( Door Oakland, OR to Port of Auckland, New Zealand )
    Quotes include the following:
    1. Export Documentation ( Shipper’s Export Declarations and Ocean Bill of Lading )
    2. Export Handling Fee
    3. Inland Drayage of container to and from your door in Oakland, OR
    4. U.S. port charges as well as wharfage fee
    5. Ocean transportation to arrival port of Auckland, New Zealand
    Quote is from your door in Oakland, OR to arrival port of Auckland, New Zealand
    Live load, that is, you will have 2 free hours to load the container at your door in Oakland, OR. Beyond the 2 free hours, a waiting time of US$55.00 per hour applies.
    Overseas handling charges and customs formalities at destination are for account of the consignee ( receiving party at destination ).

Quote is good for 30 days. Please re-confirm after 30 days.

We value your business and we look forward to offering you our shipping service.

Please call me at 1-800-631-6881 or email me if you have any questions.
    Regards
    Chris Neo
    Crown International Forwarder
    Member of Better Business Bureau ( A + Rating )

Quote: US$5350.00 per 40ft container ( Door Oakland, OR to Port of Auckland, New Zealand )

auskiwi, are you transporting everything to Oakland to be packed? (as I see you live in Oregon) Huge difference between your quote and mine!

I live in the little town of Oakland which is in Oregon (unlike the city of Oakland in California!) - so no I won't be transporting anything :-)

Give Chris Neo a call at Crown, he is pretty reasonable, so you might get a much cheaper quote than what you currently have.

Amy.

Quote Originally Posted by auskiwi View Post
    I live in the little town of Oakland which is in Oregon (unlike the city of Oakland in California!) - so no I won't be transporting anything :-)

Give Chris Neo a call at Crown, he is pretty reasonable, so you might get a much cheaper quote than what you currently have.

Amy.
    I will give Chris a call at Crown. I don't have a quote from them yet so perhaps the fourth quote will be the lucky one. Many thanks!

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Auskiwi that's hugely cheap! But I guess West Coast is a lot closer than the East Coast!

Dell, I too looked at the costs of shipping from the UK vs USA and even asked someone about it. The answer was you can't compare the two as they are different labour markets with different laws and pay structures. Plus there are different operating cost structures for different countries too (I can imagine US companies have the cost of liability and medical insurance factored into their prices, which the UK wouldn't have such an issue with).

I'm waiting with interest to see what kind of quote Dell gets from Crown...

auskiwi, thanks for the suggestion to call Crown. I just got the quote:

Quote: US$4350.00 per 20ft container ( Door **** Arizona to Port of Auckland, New Zealand )

Yahoo! Half the price of the previous three quotes. However it is only to the Port of Auckland.

Quote does not include destination’s customs clearance, duties and taxes, and is subject to destination charges payable in local currency and any destination regulations for this commodity/shipment.

Any advice on what the charges might be for things that aren't included??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast