Thread: Missionary Visa to residency question.

Question Missionary Visa to residency question.

Hi,
    Does anyone know if you can apply for permanent residence after being in the country for 3 years on a missionary visa?
    Last edited by Rasa11; 6th April 2011 at 10:14 AM.

It states on the immigration website that you can have the visa extended for up to 4 years from date of arrival, but the visa is granted based on the sponsor providing return passage. See here

On what grounds would you be applying for PR? Ie, skilled migrant, accredited employer etc.

That's the first time I've had occasion to read that page. I think from what it says, if you wanted to stay on after the initial three years spent on that visa, it would have to be a new visa application, and on some other basis, as the religious worker's employer is contracted to send him/her home. Does the potential missionary's spouse maybe have a different career, so they might have been finding work during that three years that would qualify them for a different kind of visa?

A friend of mine is in the process of trying to extend his visa under that criteria.
    Will ask him how it is going.

kejktfc

Thanks youmeandthree for the link, and everyone else for their replies. I've been on that site hundreds of times and never found that page.
    I hadn't figured on what grounds I would be applying for PR under yet. I was just wondering if that visa translated into the opportunity to apply for PR or not. My family and I have the opportunity to go to NZ on a religious visa and since we want to move there I was looking to see if PR was possible this way. Looks like we'll have to go another route. I'd still like to know if your friend gets his extension kejktfc.
    Thanks again.
    RAsa