Thread: BMI issues?

Default BMI issues?

We just got selected and one of my family members has a BMI closer to 39 (I'm closer to 32 and think I should be fine) and I'm concerned about getting through the medical waiver.

While we are losing weight in anticipation, and are both healthy overall, should I be seriously concerned?

I'm doubting we can get below 30/37 before we have the medical exam.

You should search for threads on this, but I'm pretty sure that if BMI is 35+ there would be an issue. Also check threads for waist circumference guidelines as well.

Feel like posting anonymously if that's possible. Ahem. A little research may help, as it is entirely possible that you may find a larger doctor who might have sympathetic scales. Or a counter top to discreetly lean against. Obviously that's just guess work on my part.

It's not a matter that's usually dealt with by a medical waiver - it's thrown back to the applicant to put right. You are likely to find yourselves delayed by this issue. Sorry it's not what you want to hear, but that's being realistic. See here for one couple's story. http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=26174

My husband needed to get his BMI down and reduce his waist for future medicals. He cut out sugar (including fruit), cut down on carbs and increased protein. After a few weeks he lost 3 and half stone, BMI down from 30 to 24 and his waist from 40" to 34".

In the meantime you could try taking PLANT STEROLS....my mum has had excellent results in reducing her cholesterol level with these (she has vegan diet but genetic fat retention).

Lydia.