Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving from Paris to Tauranga

Default Moving from Paris to Tauranga

Hi Everyone,
    We are going to move from Paris to Mount Maunganui in mid of July. Does anyone can recommend a moving company? We have asked for quote from Crown but it is very expensive.....
    Any suggestion to cut the cost down will be very welcomed.
    Best

From Paris? Are you absolutely certain???

When we have had quotes before, crown always came out more expensive. Not much more though so don't be surprised if you get a similar quote from other companies.

There are other people on the forum who moved from France though so I am sure they can help. A company like allied pickfords might help?

There are a few options re shipping:
    1. All your stuff in one container
    2. A shared container (groupage) - can take longer but is cheaper as you are sending less stuff
    3. Getting rid of your stuff in France and buying replacements in NZ

Option 3 is a difficult one - only you know how valuable/important your stuff is to you. And it is more expensive to replace furniture etc in NZ.

If you are prepared to do a lot yourself you can save a lot by dealing directly with the shipping company rather than movers. The shippers (Maersk in our case) supply the container and transport it from one dock to another; you do the rest.

Do you mind sharing the difference in cost between shipping directly via shipping companies(Maersk) & movers like Crown etc.

We moved with Crown, they packed and delivered it all. We had no hassles, nothing broken and we had our stuff in time.
    Sometimes it's worth paying.

However, as the others have mentioned the more you can do yourself or reduce then you'll reduce costs. But just remember whatever you don't bring, you'll probably need to replace here, which means shopping, collecting, paying etc

Quote Originally Posted by girlwithanewf View Post
    From Paris? Are you absolutely certain???
    There are other people on the forum who moved from France though so I am sure they can help. A company like allied pickfords might help?

There are a few options re shipping:
    1. All your stuff in one container
    2. A shared container (groupage) - can take longer but is cheaper as you are sending less stuff
    3. Getting rid of your stuff in France and buying replacements in NZ
    girlwithanewf yes we are sure we are leaving Paris Its beautiful city but not the best for family life. I guess our daughter will appreciate Bay of Planty more.
    Thanks, I will check with pickfords as well to have alternative offer.

So far Crown offered only full container so I will ask them if shared is an option.

Thanks for the tips

Quote Originally Posted by wellywearer View Post
    We moved with Crown, they packed and delivered it all. We had no hassles, nothing broken and we had our stuff in time.
    Sometimes it's worth paying.

However, as the others have mentioned the more you can do yourself or reduce then you'll reduce costs. But just remember whatever you don't bring, you'll probably need to replace here, which means shopping, collecting, paying etc
    I like the option of less hassels much but I know it just costs. I wonder if anyone who moved from france could give me some idea how much it costs to ship 13 square meeters?

Quote Originally Posted by nms.sun3 View Post
    Do you mind sharing the difference in cost between shipping directly via shipping companies(Maersk) & movers like Crown etc.
    This option is difficult as we have just half container to fill and not much experience with shipping companies. But anyway thanks nms.sun3 and Myles for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by nms.sun3 View Post
    This is going back to 2002 and from memory so don't trust it too much but I seem to remember UKP1700 for a 20' container and UKP2300 for a 40' container (shipping and port charges, MAF, customs etc). On top of that was the cost of getting it trucked to/from the docks

it is expensive, but when we moved from Canada to Auckland in 2012 it was FANTASTIQUE that they came, packed everything, loaded it, brought it to the port, and then delivered it to our home. This was my fifth intercontinental move and definitely the easiest. They also managed all the customs/quarantine paperwork. We included a motorcycle in our container as well.

If you cannot afford it, or would prefer not to spend the extra money, I understand. But it saved me 2 weeks of part time (after work and weekends) packing/organising planning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast