Thread: Need Help on ESOL tuition Fees

Default Need Help on ESOL tuition Fees

Hi,
    I have applied for the PR visa through SMC type. I have submitted my IELTS score (Which is 7.0) to my CO, and I have shown the “Degree qualification” (which was taught in English) of my partner as the proof of her English language eligibility.

Under what circumstance one should pay for the ESOL tuition fees?

Now my question is should my partner has to pay for the ESOL tuition fees?
    If so then can I show her IELTS score to avoid the fees (which I don’t have in my hand as of now)?

If my spouse scores more or equal to 6.5 in her IELTS (which is equal to the primary applicant minimum eligibility score) then should she has to pay the ESOL fees?

Please note that ESOL fees structure says that, even if you score more that 4.5 you may have to pay some fees.

Please advice me!!!!

You don't need to pay ESOL fee if your OH score even 5.5 band in IELTS (average 5.5, not less then 5 in any band), personal experience. I don't know the exact score which you require to avoid the ESOL tuition fee.

Good luck

You say you have shown that she completed a degree taught in English. According to what is quoted below, as long as the degree is from a reputable institution, after a long enough course (see my bolding in the quote), this should be enough that she does not have to either complete an IELTS test, or pre-purchase ESOL training.

However, note the bottom line of the quote. If you need to have a CO interview as part of your process, and the CO is in doubt about your partner's level of English (from her understanding, or making herself understood), s/he can require an IELTS test.

From the Immigration NZ operations manual.

SM5.10 English language requirements for non-principal applicants

Unless SM5.15 applies, partners and dependent children aged 16 and older, who are included in Skilled Migrant Category applications, must:
    show that they meet a minimum standard of English to enable successful settlement in New Zealand; or
    pre-purchase ESOL training; or
    provide other evidence which satisfies a visa or immigration officer that, taking account of that evidence and all the circumstances of the application, they are a competent user of English (see SM5.5 (c)(iii)).
    Non-principal applicants meet the minimum standard of English if:
    they provide a Test Report Form (no more than 2 years old at the time the application is lodged) from IELTS, showing they achieved an overall band score of at least 5 in the IELTS General or Academic Module; or
    (if they are the partner of a principal applicant), they have current skilled employment in New Zealand for a period of at least 12 months that qualifies for points (see SM10); or
    they provide evidence of one of the following:
    completion of all primary education and at least 3 years of secondary education (that is, the equivalent of New Zealand Forms 3 to 5 or years 9 to 11) at schools using English as the language of instruction;
    completion of at least 5 years of secondary education (that is, the equivalent of New Zealand Forms 3 to 7 or years 9 to 13) at schools using English as the language of instruction;
    completion of a course of at least 3 years duration leading to the award of a tertiary qualification at institutions using English as the language of instruction;
    that the applicant holds General Certificate of Education (GCE) "A" Levels from Britain or Singapore with a minimum C pass (the passes must specifically include the subjects English Language or Literature, or Use of English);
    that the applicant holds International Baccalaureate – full Diploma in English Medium;
    that the applicant holds Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English – minimum C pass;
    that the applicant holds Hong Kong Advanced Level Examinations (HKALE) including a minimum C pass in Use of English;
    that the applicant holds STPM 920 (Malaysia) – A or B pass in English Literature;
    that the applicant holds University of Cambridge in collaboration with University of Malaya, General Certificate of English (GCE) "A" levels with a minimum C pass. The passes must specifically include the subjects English or General Paper;
    that the applicant holds South African Matriculation Certificate, including a minimum D pass in English (Higher Grade);
    that the applicant holds South African Senior Certificate, including a minimum D pass in English (Higher Grade), endorsed with the words 'matriculation exempt';
    that the applicant holds a New Zealand Tertiary Entrance Qualification gained on completing the seventh form.
    In any case, an immigration officer may require an applicant to provide an IELTS certificate in terms of paragraph (b)(i). In such cases, the IELTS certificate will be used to determine whether the applicant meets the minimum standard of English.

Hi,
    My situation is little bit complicated.

While I submitted my EOI and ITA, I was not married and while I was interviewed by INZ I got married.
    I have claimed my 4 year degree which was taught in English as the proof of my English qualification, However my CO asked me to produce my IELTS certificate, So I submitted the same and the application decision status is pending now.

So while submitting the necessary documents (After the interview) for my partner’s inclusion, I have claimed my partner’s degree’s (both bachelor and master) as the proof of her English language ability and she got her degree from one of the reputed university from India.

So, I think in the worst case my CO may ask for an IELTS score? Or an ESOL tuition fees?
    Can we choose between IELTS or ESOL for my partner's English language qualification?

And if she scores more than or equal 5.5 then I would be alright and I don’t need to pay any fees?

Also, I want to know whether I will be eligible to get my AIP if my CO wants to me to get an ESOL or an IELTS.(in the worst case) for my parner?(I mean will it a showstoper?)

Unfortunately I cannot find the source. However I recall having read that your partner does not need to fulfill these English requirements when your partner could not have been part of your initial submission.

BTW: What do you mean when you are writing that you submitted an ITA; that seems to be strange.

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    Unfortunately I cannot find the source. However I recall having read that your partner does not need to fulfill these English requirements when your partner could not have been part of your initial submission.

BTW: What do you mean when you are writing that you submitted an ITA; that seems to be strange.
    What I meant was that, I have given back the ITA form (which I have received from INZ) together with the supporting documents.

Quote Originally Posted by bagathbtech View Post

So, I think in the worst case my CO may ask for an IELTS score? Or an ESOL tuition fees?
    Can we choose between IELTS or ESOL for my partner's English language qualification?

And if she scores more than or equal 5.5 then I would be alright and I don’t need to pay any fees?
    My OH was the main applicant; I have a university degree (not in English). As far as I remember, you can choose how to prove your English skills:
    - OR you provide them with a qualification that states you've received education in English (see JandM's post for details)
    - OR you take the IELTS test and you give them a copy of your test results
    - OR you prepurchase ESOL lessons (this being the most expensive option)

The safest bet is to do the IELTS; it's not that hard to get an acceptable score, and it's the cheapest option.

Here is a link to tons of websites to learn English as a second language:
    https://www.victoria.ac.nz/llc/langu..._efl.aspx#lang

in the worst case my CO may ask for an IELTS score?
    Yes, that's exactly right. If in doubt about someone's English, a CO can ONLY require them to submit an IELTS score.
    if she scores more than or equal 5.5 then I would be alright and I don’t need to pay any fees?
    This is right, too - if the person's IELTS score meets the required standard, that's the end of the story.