Thread: Firewood - anyone found difficulties when trying to buy seasoned firewood?

Default Firewood - anyone found difficulties when trying to buy seasoned firewood?

Has anyone found difficulties when trying to buy seasoned firewood?

I'm still a wood buying novice but know a little bit more than I did 3 years ago.

I've found that I pay top dollar $100/m at various outlets and tend to get damp wood which has obviously just been split.

One lot of wood I bought I later sold on Trademe for $1 as it was rotten grub infested rubbish.

Is this the norm or should I expect to get what I'm paying for?

How can I be more Kiwi when buying wood, I'm really getting tired of being fleeced.

Buy where your friends/colleagues/neighbours are buying; provided they are no 'ignorant' immigrants either.

I've worked out that the trick is to buy cheaper unseasoned firewood in the Spring/Summer and store it yourself therefore guaranteeing you have seasoned wood for the Winter at the lowest cost.

It's just a case of doing it and being motivated enough to put that knowledge into practice.

Failed this year.

Quite often the better companies are advertising in the local paper every week - i.e. they can afford to as they're doing good business. But always get a recommendation - maybe pop round and ask the neighbours or people at work.

We bought from Trademe after looking at the feedback but also have a back up company recommended by FIL.

Well after going back to the supplier and complaining about the state of the wood they actually agreed and not only changed the wood but gave me another 2m free for my trouble.

Bravo.

Being English I don't really enjoy complaining but sometimes it certainly pays to make a stand.