Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: two years in..

Default two years in..

coming on the 24th April

Quote Originally Posted by victoria24 View Post
    coming on the 24th April
    Which year?!

Crumbs, is it that long? I remember following your progress in amazement!

Quote Originally Posted by victoria24 View Post
    coming on the 24th April
    Doesnt time fly when you`re having fun!

So watch this space for the 2-years-in-post? Or just start another thread, keeps us busy

good point, i would have put it on here but it may warrant a new thread. I'll have to assess how exciting it is on the exciteometer and decide from there
    which would you prefer?

Stick it on a new thread, live it up!

Quote Originally Posted by gorstsmit View Post
    Stick it on a new thread, live it up!
    controversial!

You only live once!

I couldnt bring myself to hog the limelight twice here goes:

I just read through my one year in post to gauge how we felt a year ago and to ensure I didn’t repeat myself. I was quite amazed really, not just at my superior use of the vernacular but more so reading my thoughts at the time as I look back and realize we were still very much in a state of flux although saying that, I did realize that at the time.

Does any of the above make sense?

I spose this must mean that we feel very settled now (although I may look back in a year with different views!) and we do feel settled. The work/life balance is bang on. I’m now on my 3rd job and cant see myself moving on again for quite a long time. Mrs V is considering a move jobwise but its more a culture improvement than anything else.

I think once the wonderment of the move and the new experiences settle into new life, it becomes an exercise in refinement to assess what you have gained and equally, lost.. and to then create happiness within those parameters.

Our children are proper little kiwis now and memories of their life in the UK have faded somewhat. Saying that, I find it hard to remember certain place names in the UK. I can say that weirdly after such a big move, I would find it very hard to move in country now. I guess as you settle and form friendships and support networks that it seems like a whole other gamble to take on even though you know you can do it.
    I think we’ll be staying put until the kids finish their education and reassess then. I still believe that we will do a few years in Australia at some point but probably on the premise that it will be a temporary experience with an end goal of moving back to NZ.

We’ve had a fantastic summer, pretty settled since early November and to be honest, I’m kinda enjoying wearing normal clothes and having the fire on.

I think it would be remiss not to mention the Christchurch earthquake. Firstly, my heart goes out to all of you that have been through that and/or are still experiencing hardship. When the quake happened, it became apparent within a few hours how interconnected we all are. I had work colleagues affected as did Mrs V and we know a few people down there > the sense of community was overwhelming and if anything good can come out of something like that then I would say that empathy for your fellow countrymen/women would be an emphatic leveler.

I spose the 2 year mark is probably the big one along the way due to IRRV and also a psychological goal and I’m real pleased we made it. I know for every one of us that does, others don’t for a variety of reasons. I don’t post as much on here as I once did as I feel that the baton has been passed to a whole new wave of you that are starting out on the journey of emigration. I'm now trying to "pay it forward" and answer questions/help out rather than gain knowledge.

My only advice would be to enjoy every moment as its doubtful you will ever experience something so wonderful and fulfilling again. Unless of course you plan to do it all over again!
    Catch y'all in a year for more fun and frolics

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast