Thread: Waist size?

Default Waist size?

Is the waist size requirement a hard stop? If I meet the BMI requirement and am in perfect health otherwise will I be held back?

Fasting blood tests are likely to be required. Depending on the results, the MA may ask for other tests or opinions.

The medical examiner is to request fasting glucose and fasting lipids where BMI >35 or when
    the waist circumference in applicants 18 years or over is greater than the following limits1:
    • men: ≥ 102cm, except Asian/Indian men: ≥ 90cm
    • women: ≥ 88cm, except Asian/Indian women: ≥ 80cm.
    Where a patient may be in a higher risk category, with fasting bloods having been requested, the
    applicant’s attitude to their condition should be explored. Please note whether they recognise a
    problem exists, whether they are planning any changes to improve the situation, have they made
    any changes, what success, if any, have they had etc, is all relevant information,
    From the INZ Medical Examiners' Handbook. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...lExaminers.pdf

I think the bmi is more important. Good luck.

I believe fasting blood tests are now requested regardless of weight. My family and I had our medical just one month ago and we were asked not to eat or drink (except water) for 12 hours before and no mention was made of our weight.

In general it seems the issues on the medical are only ever a concern if they come in conjunction with other problems. So a minor abnormality on your blood sugar levels might be considered meaningless if your BMI and waist measurements are normal, and likewise if you have high BMI but your blood sugar is fine you may pass as well.

I say this because they take a large number of tests and in our results there were a number of things that fell outside normal levels. However, the doctor signed them off saying they were meaningless in isolation and only certain combinations of things are cause for concern.
    Last edited by BigRed; 15th April 2011 at 01:54 AM.