Thread: Silver Fern Job Search Visa - New Places Available for 2011

Default Silver Fern Job Search Visa - New Places Available for 2011

Hello All,

Immigration New Zealand website has announced the new 300 places that will be available for this year .... here is the announcement

There are 300 places available annually under this category to young, highly-skilled people coming to New Zealand in search of skilled employment. The category allows a stay of up to nine months.

The Silver Fern Job Search visa is an annual scheme. A further 300 places will become available at 10:00 am New Zealand time on 27 April 2011.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...fern/jobsearch

Prepare yourself and your documents to create an application in this time . Places are limited

Best of luck to all applicants.
    Last edited by Bebo2k; 12th April 2011 at 07:37 PM.

Thank you my dearest friend!!!

Last time round all 300 places were gone in less than 30 mins, and I wouldnt be suprised if it finishes even quicker this time...so thought of putting my two cents in...

• make sure you have a working credit card - once the payement is done only, it is considered as "submitted"
    • make sure you have two forms of identities in hand - I was extreemly lucky not be be left out as I had to go and grab my Drivers license half way though filling the application
    • Be calm, you dont have to submit in the first 5 mins, because everybody will take some amount of time to fill the whole thing, so if you dont panic and make sure you do it with out wasting time...you have a very good chance of being one of the first 300 to finish it

hope this helps someone..

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer12 View Post
    Last time round all 300 places were gone in less than 30 mins, and I wouldnt be suprised if it finishes even quicker this time...so thought of putting my two cents in...

• make sure you have a working credit card - once the payement is done only, it is considered as "submitted"
    • make sure you have two forms of identities in hand - I was extreemly lucky not be be left out as I had to go and grab my Drivers license half way though filling the application
    • Be calm, you dont have to submit in the first 5 mins, because everybody will take some amount of time to fill the whole thing, so if you dont panic and make sure you do it with out wasting time...you have a very good chance of being one of the first 300 to finish it

hope this helps someone..

Excellent Advices Dreamer12

Thats good news. However, for some, I don't really understand the advantage of the SFJSV over the visitor visa if you're from the UK. Hopefully someone can tell me!
    These are my points of view:
    1. I believe you get 9 months in NZ as a visitor (to effectively find work if thats the objective). This is the same as the SF.
    2. For both types, you are required to show proof of onward travel when entering NZ.
    3. You have to pay for the SF whereas the visitor entry is free.
    4. The SF would probably look better to prospective employers in terms of committment to moving to NZ in the long term. Although i'm not sure of timescales for the application of the SF practical experience visa.
    5. Partners/dependants cannot be included in the SF so would have to enter as a visitor and then be part of any future visa application by the main visa applicant. This is the same situation if both are entering under a visitor visa.
    6. Once in NZ, if you decide to go down another route for a visa i.e. WTR or Skilled Migrant Perm Residency, you might have to resubmit the medical/police check as it is possible that these are now more than 3/6 months old respectively. If sticking to the SFPE route, this would not be required - not sure this is correct so pls correct me if i'm wrong?

I'm planning on heading out in September with my wife and we were originally going to arrive as visitors and find work whilst out there. This new release of SFV has got us thinking!! I would appreciate any input from anyone .... we'll get there in the end on way or another!!

@daviesmw

1.) No! You do get an undconditional 9 month open work permit!
    2.) No! My visa said "onward passage waived" so one way ticket is just fine.
    3.) Yep but its dirt cheap.
    4.) It sure does look better.
    5.) Yes, but this visa is basicially for those highly trained singles that are too old for the WHV.
    6.) Yes, if you want to apply straight for PR. No, if you go with the 2 years SFJE visa.

Hope that clears things up.

Cheers

Moritz

Hi Moritz, Thanks for the reply.

I still don't quite see the advantage of the SF over just entering as a visitor, especially considering that I will be travelling with my wife. I can see it does have some general advantages but several of the employers i've spoken to have not yet heard of the SF and therefore don't see it as being more attractive.

On the subject of the return flights, it tends to vary. Some people have onward passage waived and some don't so this doesn't really persuade me one way or the other.

I think its a great mechanism for single, young professionals to enter the country as you say but not be quite right for us.

Thanks again for your input. I'll get my thinking cap on before the 27th!

daviesmv: Don't take it the wrong way, but it would be great if you do not apply for the SFV. Since it's possible for you to get a 9month visitor visa, perhaps you'll find it in your kind heart to let the very limited 300 spots go to citizens of less-privileged countries (visa-wise).

For example, Malaysians can only get a maximum of 3 month visitor visa. And it's well-discussed here (whether fact or not) that Shanghai branch issues WTR more often than PR. So for me, getting a 9 month open work permit has been a fantastic blessing.

As you've so correctly stated, the visa wouldn't make much difference to you. But it's world's better for many other people

Zemien,

I couldn't agree more. That it my thought process exactly. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing the point and that there wasn't a further advantage that I was not aware of.

I won't be applying for the SFV and I wish everyone who is, all the very best of luck.

Daviesmw