Thread: Goods from US

Default Goods from US

Hi All,

We are coming over to NZ from the UK via USA where we plan to have a wee holiday in LA and Las Vegas (after all the stress!!)

We might buy a laptop in america as they are cheaper so we need to know if there will be any issues with import tax etc. we would not make it obvious that its new and will obv test it before we leave the states.

Any advice would be great

Thanks

elasticated

Not sure what you want to hear. Your post implies you are aware to check on guarantee issues, and also that you know that you are legally liable to pay duty, but are intending not to pay that. So are you asking for specific tips of how to smuggle goods in?

Obviously you know that the keyboard layout will be different on the US laptop (no UKP key, " and @ swapped, \ key in different place, etc. Also there may be some issues with the region locking of the dvd player, but that's likely to be straightforward to make multiregion. Sony Vaio with BluRay players are apparently less easy though. You may need a new power adapter, although many will be 110/220v so it's jsut a new cord, but check or else that's another $150 to add.

thanks, after re reading my post yes it implies I am intending to smuggle. Sorry! Didnt quite mean that - should we declare it at the airport or in the shop?

I kind of meant that if we open it to check it and use it while we are in america does this create a problem for import tax. if its been used is it still liable for tax?

Sorry im not quite making myself clear!

Ok, good question actually. If you buy it duty free then I'm sure you ought to declare it. Equally, once you're in NZ and then go to the states, buy it, then return it should still be declared. However, if bought en route, and is 'used' then I think it is probably not subject to duty as it's used and, your household goods at the time of activating your visa.

Note that the above is entirely just my own mutterings, and not based on anything otehr than my memory of the rules and how I as a lay person read them. It's certainly not the Customs official line, for that then you could drop them an email and they tend to get back with very clear and helpful answers 2 days later.

cheers i think ill do that - dont want any hold ups!