Thread: Customs charges on cars?

Default Customs charges on cars?

Hi All

I am considering bringing my car with me to New Zealand. It is a 2009 Subaru Outback which I have owned since new ( 21 mths ).

My main query is how do the NZ customs value it? My purchase price was £23k and their website suggests that this is the price which will be used when calculating the charges ( before deducting 50% for ownership time )

I am hoping that this is not correct as a true valuation today would be nearer £14k..

Any pointers?

Ian

Hi Ian,

If you meet the right conditions you won't have an customs charges to pay.

Eligibility
    Concessionary entry for motor vehicles is available to persons who have arrived in New Zealand and on the date the motor vehicle is imported, hold a document authorising residence in New Zealand after living overseas for 21 months or more.

Conditions
    In order to qualify for concessionary entry, the following conditions must be met in full:

You have arrived in New Zealand and on the date the motor vehicle is imported you hold a document authorising permanent residence in New Zealand; and
    For the whole of the period of 21 months preceding your arrival, you have resided outside or have been domiciled outside New Zealand. Brief holidays or exploratory visits do not exclude a person from qualifying for this concession; and
    You have personally owned and used the vehicle for at least one year before the date of your departure for New Zealand, or the date on which the vehicle is surrendered for shipping, whichever is earlier; and
    The vehicle is being imported for your own personal use and not for sale, gift or disposal in any other way; and
    You give a concession reference 80 undertaking.
    Check our the full details on the customs website http://www.customs.govt.nz/traveller...rges+apply.htm

Mark

Thanks for that most informative - Still unsure as to whhether GST would still apply though?

If you are bringing it for your own use, sign a deed to say you are keeping for a number of years (can't remember the figure) then no GST applies upon import if you have a residence visa (or didn't when we came through). There was a charge for the deed (can't remember exactly how much but c$80 rings a bell)

The car will also require test of fitness on arrival (done for the ten year old Japanese imports,so new cars from the UK rarely have a problem) and taxing and NZ plates....I think we were over $1000 in all by the time that we had finished.

I think that the NZ AA website gives fairly good details about it.

Just to add to previous comments, you sign a deed saying you won't sell for 2 years and you avoid paying GST. As with previous post you need to fulfill the requirements.

Will it make sense to buy a cheap Land Rover 03/04 models to take in 6 weeks' time? I may have to pay full duty but the cost of second hand Land Rover is prohibitive in NZ.