View Poll Results: Have you gained weight since moving to NZ?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

30 57.69%
  • No

22 42.31%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaining weight in NZ?

Default Gaining weight in NZ?

Hi there

I have noticed that I have put on a lot of weight since coming here 10 mnths ago. I was not expecting this at all..

I am no less active than I was before.. probably the opposite..

Is it the food - the sugar in it all? I don't feel I eat any different.. I still cook healthy home cooked meals etc

The one thing that is different is that I would probably drink more alchohol here than back home. I would often have a glass of wine in the evening here or a 1% beer which I didnt back home.... oh no maybe NZ is going to turn me into an alcholic .... no seriously, it may be one glass or one low alchohol beer..

Baffled..

Would love to hear other stories, if you think you have gained weight or lost it etc since your move..

you can celebrate that you are "healthier", as my aunts used to say when they saw a fat boy...

I haven't put more weight on, but I find that the the portions in restuarants in cafes and restaurants in NZ are huge! Everything comes with huge dollops of sour cream, whipped cream, maple syrup etc. And if I want a plain and simple chees sandwich? Forget it ... sandwiches come with avocado, bacon, cheese etc. etc. As a result we eat out far less in NZ than we did in the UK in an effort to keep weight down. Let's just say I've seen very few thin Kiwi's.

Default Weight Roller Coaster

Lost 10 Kilo's right off the bat... Of course I walked to and from work (up and down two hills) every day for the first 5 months in Auckland. Then when my OH joined me and we moved to the suburbs, I started to take train and eating out a lot more. Then we discovered NZ makes some of the best desserts in the world. (Parnell Chocolate Boutique anyone??) Also the bottle of Central Otago Pinot Noir every 3 days doesn't help the hips. Alchohol has a ton of sugar. Fat and Happy we are.

Yes I have, at first I put it down to 2nd baby but she's now 3, then it was hitting the big 40 but I think it's more the amount of cappuccinos I drink & the odd muffin to go with it, Butlers Chocolate cafe give a free chocolate with every hot drink too, it's a no win situation. I did go out yesterday & bought some hand weights from KMart & plan to shape up as I can't keep piling on the kgs, I wont mention the wine I drink

Quote Originally Posted by NAP View Post
    Hi there

I have noticed that I have put on a lot of weight since coming here 10 mnths ago. I was not expecting this at all..

I am no less active than I was before.. probably the opposite..

Is it the food - the sugar in it all? I don't feel I eat any different.. I still cook healthy home cooked meals etc

The one thing that is different is that I would probably drink more alchohol here than back home. I would often have a glass of wine in the evening here or a 1% beer which I didnt back home.... oh no maybe NZ is going to turn me into an alcholic .... no seriously, it may be one glass or one low alchohol beer..

Baffled..

Would love to hear other stories, if you think you have gained weight or lost it etc since your move..
    Booze does make a BIG difference to our calorie intake and, if we are honest with ourselves, we often underestimate the amount we drink.

One glass of wine or a bottle of beer should be OK, but a bottle of vino, you'll need to run a 10k to work that off!!

I love my wine but I've had to restrict myself big time in order to lose weight. It is worth it though as I feel so much better in many ways!!

Alas both put on weight here, muffins, brownies, ice cream, wine, beer after golf , it's all down hill now

After an initial post-baby/winter weather blip, I've managed to lose weight since arriving here, but I do have to be very careful as the coffee culture and cheap wine available here is conducive for weight gain, depsite having a more active lifestyle. Unlike in the UK where we generally just grabbed a coffee, here for the equivalent amount of money you can get a decent coffee and a yummy sweet treat.......plus IMO there are way more places here selling delicious cakes and muffins. I find that the 'bring a plate' culture means people often eat more daytime nibbles when having a daytime cuppa with friends than they may have done previously. The common Friday drinks after work, means more calories consumed in alcohol. I also agree that when eating out most places in NZ are far more generous with the portions of sauce, soured cream, mascapone, etc, and almost everywhere will stick a dollop of cream on the side of a desert, unless you ask them not to. Sandwiches often have a generous helping of mayo in them, and I tend to find a lot of food, for example tins of beans, are both sweeter and saltier than the supermarket brands we bought in the UK, but food here often has less herbs and spices added. A few years ago when we first arrived I did a comparision of Tesco beans (brought with us in the container) and Countdown homebrand (?) which confirmed this.

Personally, I don't agree that there are very few thin Kiwi's. What I've noticed is that there is a significant group of larger people (just the same as we've experienced in other countries), and a significant group of super-fit and sporty people. There are probably less people who appear just 'average' as a result.

Well,

I actually lost 30 lbs in the 4 months we spent in NZ, but that was more down to the restrictions on snacking imposed by living out of a van, along with a mania not to spend too much money and a stubborn belief that Wheatbix contained nutritional value.

Sad to say, I've gained it all back since returning to the US.

Zeke

two facts:

Give up the wine and you willl lose weight

Give up the wine and you'll be miserable

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast