Thread: Trim milk?

Default Trim milk?

Strange question I know.

We just came back from a reccie trip to NZ and kids loved trim milk there.

My 4 yr old(who is a fussy bugger anyhow) is now objecting to the taste of 2 % organic milk that we have here (and have always drank since he was 2) stating 'it tastes different to NZ milk!'.

What is equivalent of trim milk in US?

Thanks.

"Trim milk" (usually with green cap) = non fat. "Lite" (with light blue lid) is reduced fat, so that would be a closer equivalent to 2%.

It's possible that he's not imagining the taste difference as milk content does change seasonally, also NZ cows eat grass outside whereas US cows are fed more hay and grain I think? (I'm just guessing.)

How was you reccie?

Quote Originally Posted by Oregonkiwi View Post
    It's possible that he's not imagining the taste difference as milk content does change seasonally, also NZ cows eat grass outside whereas US cows are fed more hay and grain I think? (I'm just guessing.)

I agree with the above. I like NZ milk better as well.

US herds tend to be mainly Holstein-Fresians as well, while NZ herds are Fresians mixed with Jerseys, which might change the make up and therefore taste of the milk slightly as well.

You can try other organic milks in the US- I find that some have a different taste.

There was one that I got in Cleveland that we purchased at Whole Foods that was in a returnable glass bottle.

That's the one that we found tasted the closest.