Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can we live on this?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Can we live on this?

I realize this question and variations thereof have been asked repeatedly on this forum, but I'm going to ask once again.

I'm currently in negotiations for a position in Wellington. Lower Hutt actually. I would be moving along with my wife and two kids, ages 3 and 1. I've done a lot of research and used the COL calcs, but I would like the advice of real people.

We're looking at a single salary of between 80k and 90k. What kind of lifestyle can we expect? I understand this is subjective and dependent on individual proclivities, but I would like to hear real world experiences, please.

Any advice on where to live would be appreciated as well.

Thank you all.

J

Hello and welcome.

Forget the brand new Audis, but other than that then more than comfortable asuming that you adapt to NZ life (seasonal local food, not out of season imported) and aren't obsessed with branded goods and the latest bling.

Median household income is about $70-80k(could quickly find the latest data, that was based on last, but the individual income is very simmilar, so assume househild won't have changed much). So you should be fine IMHO.

Source http://www.enz.org/new-zealand-incomes.html (although I couldn't see the primary source.
    Last edited by Duncan74; 16th April 2011 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    Forget the brand new Audis, but other than that then more than comfortable asuming that you adapt to NZ life (seasonal local food, not out of season imported) and aren't obsessed with branded goods and the latest bling.
    This is a tad pink-tinted in my view. It's not only about forgoing a new car or the latest Nike trainers but about whether or not you can afford to go to the cinema once a week or to live in a well-insulated house.

NZ life is very much a 'make do' culture (out of necessity, not necessarily moral virtue) where you put on another layer of clothing when in-doors rather than install a heat pump.

People who come from the USA (where material goods are relatively cheap and ''extras'' like mobile phones and fast internet are taken for granted) may be facing a rude awakening.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    Median household income is about $70-80k(could quickly find the latest data, that was based on last, but the individual income is very simmilar, so assume househild won't have changed much). So you should be fine IMHO.
    Here

2010 results.
    Last edited by eassae; 16th April 2011 at 02:08 PM.

One of the key factors would be how much you spend on housing (rent or mortgage). If you are able to keep you housing costs low, this would free up more money for other expenses. Many families certainly do live on this income in Lower Hutt, as the average household income in NZ is approx. $88k though things like travel or savings would be limited.

Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by eternalkiwi View Post
    One of the key factors would be how much you spend on housing (rent or mortgage).
    Well said !!

Thanks everybody for the replies and info.

I think the one thing I would splurge on a bit is housing. It's a two year contract so I'm thinking of a rental between 400-500/wk. Other than that our main item would be food. I definitely want to take a few vacations with the family though. Nothing huge, camping to the north, cruise to the south. thoughts?

As surprising as this might be this would actually be a significant raise from my current salary. The primary difference is the lack of support through family.

Any advice on where to live?

-J

Ok, so I found the powerswitch website from another thread. I would estimate about $150/month in gas and electric. Can anybody tell me how this compares with their experience?

I said before I was thinking of $400-500/wk for rent. Now I'm thinking more towards $400/wk.

This is a temporary move for us (2yrs). I have lived in the the UK before and I would really like my family to have a similar experience. Really want to experience the day to day life, do a little traveling, but don't want to be stressed over money.

eassae, i think i've seen numbers close to 88k for just the wellington area.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast