Thread: Job application help - Kiwi attitudes

Default Job application help - Kiwi attitudes

Hoping someone can give us some tips on what to or what NOT to say in a CV/cover letter when applying for jobs? My main concern is this: how do you "sell yourself" without being seen as bragging? Or is the job application process the one time it's ok to talk about what you can do/have done?
    I realize that this may come off as a stupid question but we wouldn't like to blow opportunities by coming across as (stereotypical) arrogant Americans! Any practical advice is greatly appreciated.

Andrea

Brag away - I think it is widely accepted that the purpose of a resume / cover letter is to highlight your strengths and skills - in NZ as much as any where else.
    Amy.

Absolutely if you don't 'back' yourself then you can't expect a prospective employer to....

Default as I hoped...

SO I worked myself into a tizzy for nothing, as I suspected might be the case. I am just seriously gun-shy after reading about "tall poppies" etc... and I know that Americans seem to have a bit of a bad reputation to overcome in this case.
    Thanks, everyone.

I did not brag then and I would not do so now.

My experience here is that generally in the engineering sector people do not brag. Talking about your achievements and the like is fine but more on modest level.

Most important of course is precision and relevance!
    Last edited by ralf-nz; 16th April 2011 at 05:18 PM.

Related question: do some percentage of the applications lodged simply go into the trash due to the fact that we have not yet arrived in NZ? It seems that a handful of recruiters handle the bulk of the engineering vacancies - and some of them never seem to give any response at all. (In an attempt to be taken a little more seriously, covering letters always point out that we are relocating without visa restriction, and potentially within a matter of weeks.) Do you think that there is a large amount of bias among employers/recruiters in this way? Are they just doubting that we are serious?
    We are moving with or without an offer (clearly with is the preferred method) but I'm not sure how to get that across in a clear and polite way.

My limited experience over the past 2 months of applying for jobs is that a lot of the time you get no response or just the auto reply and nothing.

Weirdly I have also received instant rejections for not being in New Zealand and then 3 weeks later got an interview invite for the same post.

My stats so far .. 4 applications made (3 direct to company and 1 to an agency), 1 through to interview (direct company application), no word on the rest.

I am taking it at a fairly leisurely pace though as I am still finding my feet with regards the job market in NZ.

HTH

It isn't bias - it's that so many over time have had their time wasted by people who didn't know about the visa regulations and how long the formalities would take, or weren't sure they really wanted to move, or who hadn't told their family about the job application and when the family found out, they didn't want to move, etc., etc., etc., so the NZ employer, who thought he had a worker about to start in a few weeks, then had to start advertising and interviewing all over again. Looked at from that point of view, I think you'd sympathize a little with the ones who decide they're not going to look at any applicant unless they've made some definite commitment, such as already having the visa, and/or being right there in NZ to be seen in person.

You don't need to brag; you just give them a clear picture of yourself and your achievements. If you have been a team manager, say so. Don't say "I've been the best team manager ever" - that's bragging. Just try to remember all those things that seem insignificant to you, but actually are indicators that you are the perfect employee!

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    I think you'd sympathize a little with the ones who decide they're not going to look at any applicant unless they've made some definite commitment, such as already having the visa, and/or being right there in NZ to be seen in person.
    Oh, absolutely...I understand once-bitten twice-shy. But we DO have our visas and are ready to go...so I would hope that would be taken into account, rather than having an application summarily dismissed.