Thread: Impressions after recent reccie trip

Default Impressions after recent reccie trip

Impressions of recent reccie trip.

I thought I would share the impressions of NZ after our recent 3 week reccie trip to NZ. I hope this useful to some people and of some interest!

I went on a 2 week trip alone in 2008 but this was the first trip for husband and kids, ages 4/6. We decided to rent a campervan and have some more flexibility/save money with having the kids with us.
    We flew DC-LAX-AKL return with a lay over in LA both ways. We spent our first and last night in a hotel in AKL and then rented a van (6 berth) and toured North Island. AKL-Mt Manganui-Rotorua-Lake Taupo-AKL-Northland-Coromandel-AKL.

General impressions:

People great and friendly as I remember from before. Very helpful and enjoyed the sarcasm again. (Americans don't generally get the sarcastic sense of humour!)

Loved 'real' chocolate, chicken and chips and real meat pies. I told the kids that NZ did not have peanut butter) and they managed without for 3 weeks. (PB/J is a staple american kid's lunch!)

Discovered Pak/Carry (or was it Pak/Save) and that seemed to be a mini version of Costco but with smaller portions and a lot more variety. Also went to Countdown..prices meant nothing to me as they were all in $NZ but hubby and I decided things (food wise) were not as expensive as we had thought they would be. Warehouse seemed like a cross between wallmart/target.

Books and eating out seemed to be expensive.

Driving on the left came a little more easily then we thought (been 18 yrs since we drove at home!) but the roundabouts freaked us out a bit and we kept getting caught out on the turning left/give way to right rule.

Hubby was impressed at condition of roads even out in the boonies, esp regards road markings.

Found the drivers very courteous. Last time I found them a bit scary but have been living in DC with crazy East Coast drivers so maybe that is why they seem sedate!

Weather was great, got plenty of sun!

Experienced an Urgent care (a/e) for a prescription for my younger son (I forgot the meds) and was very impressed. Prescription was free and the actual visit was only $40!

Scenery great esp beaches whick kids loved. Playgrounds full of really good equipment.

Did not have to sign one disclaimer for any activities we did.

Met no Americans!!!! (sorry trying not to offend..)

Made some good connections re work for hubby and activated our PR. Opened bank accounts and got a phone.

That is all for now.

Thank you if you had read this all!!!

Great post, very interesting. Do you have a date when you are thinking of moving over for good?

Sounds like a good trip.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

I concur on pretty much everything you said!

Hope you're a step closer to making the move now

Quote Originally Posted by Hagabel View Post
    I thought I would share the impressions of NZ after our recent 3 week reccie trip to NZ ... (North Island).
    So you saved the better part for the next time?!

Thanks for your replies.

We decided not to do South Island due to earthquake (as I really wanted to go back to CC) and time. I went 3 yrs ago and I told hubby that South is even more amazing.

Not sure of time line, getting rid of a house over here and hubby actively applying for jobs. I will just apply for a job after he gets one.