Thread: Very sorry, another car import question

Default Very sorry, another car import question

I and i'm sorry but i'm confused, we are looking at importing our car we are coming over on LTBV and are bringing a 40' container with our goods and our car, we aren't going to be there for 8 months, house to sell, kids exams at school but (and i'm not sure we can do this) we have a landrover discovery 2004 that we are bringing,

my thoughts are this,

should we renew our car now, maybe buy a newer Discovery with less miles or a different type of 4 x 4

the thing is am I right to think that some cars are not as welcome to import as others?

does it depend on where they are built?

I had heard/read something about this and the next question how do I find out where a car is built.

Do I have time to replace our car and avoid any added costs?

Again sorry if anyone has already gone over this but I am well confused!

Here's the official government information on this. http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/fa...-vehicles.html

Among other points, you'll see that you need to have personally owned the vehicle for 12 months, so you can stop considering a change at this point - it wouldn't work.

(you could import a car you've owned for less than 12 months, but it would be liable for GST at 15%).

I don't think you would have any problems with a late model 4x4. Cars with a separate chassis come under a different class as far as collision standards go. They give a pretty thorough going over on import and are quite terrified of any signs of rust. Other things that you may and up doing are replacing disc brakes and fitting a high level brake light.

You need a receipt that says you purchased it over a year ago.

There are plenty of LR Discoveries here.