Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Feijoas

we have given them away they are vile! I would rather have a lemon tree!

Thank god, and here I was thinking there was something wrong with my taste buds. People at work have tried to get me to eat the things 2 years running - I'm told they're an acquired taste. I will be very happy not to acquire it!

It's not one of those "giggle at the newbie" ideas either, they all munch away happily on them at lunch time.

Best thing to do with them - turn into compost? Or dig up the tree and plant an apple one instead?

Having said all that, re the deep heat, then I've still eaten loads of them. They taste so odd that I still enjoy them for the new taste.

Our feijoa trees are also very productive this year. We love them - that is my boys and I love them. Their mum is seriously unimpressed... We eat 50 or so per evening and then give the rest to various neighbours - who at least pretend to appreciate them... I reckon that early season feijoas (before there has been any frost) are among the best fruit around.

Have you tasted banana passion fruit?

Never seen one and according to wikipedia if I do I should kill it as it's an invasive species. Had to look it up as I'd never heard of it.

I should put myself in the not particularly keen on eating straight feijoa but I will eat it if it's in something else, like a muffin, cake, loaf, crumble etc.

Made a batch of muffins this morning (only used 10 feijoas so not the best way to use up a morning's picking) and they were delicious.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Can anyone describe what they taste like (I'm trying to imagine the concoction conjured up by Duncan but it's failing me!!)?

Here's a link to a few recipes:

http://www.cuisine.co.nz/index.cfm?pageID=32684

I haven't tried the recipes but will. I'm the one all my friends give feijoas to, because I'm at a place in my life where I can't say no to free food (and I like them).

Oh and my favourite is to scoop the flesh of a bunch of them into a blender, add ice, and a shot of vodka. Blend then enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by dilanium View Post
    Oh and my favourite is to scoop the flesh of a bunch of them into a blender, add ice, and a shot of vodka. Blend then enjoy.
    Sounds great. I bet you can't remember the taste after a few...

Quote Originally Posted by Manks View Post
    Can anyone describe what they taste like (I'm trying to imagine the concoction conjured up by Duncan but it's failing me!!)?
    slimy perfume with an acidic after kick

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast