Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feijoas

Default Feijoas

I've made seven jars of jam, feijoa and date cake, will be stewing a couple of big jars, got six snaplock bags of mashed feijoas in the freezer (for future muffin batches, already made two lots) and have a feijoa and ginger pudding planned for our visitors next week.

But I still have a lot of feijoas on my side of the neighbour's tree.

What else can I do with them? And before anyone says chutney, I have 3 big jars of chutney from last year's crop.

Thanks,

Alison

Cut them in half, scoop out the insides with a tea spoon, throw the contents and skin in the bin, wash the spoon, then eat a kiwi fruit - best way that I've found to eat feijoas!

Put up a fruit stand with an honesty box and hope for the best
    Last edited by benhila; 20th April 2011 at 10:48 AM.

James - I would but I can't eat the green ones (lips and tongue go tingly) and the gold are too dear.

Ben - I live in a city down a quiet crescent, so no foot traffic. Would bring some to work but I cycle in! Besides, I think everyone here has the same issue.

Throw them in the pool and then play a game each night. Object is to extract the fejola from the skimmer inlet pipe that is almost exactly fejola sized and now is blocking the pipe.Sounds boring, but it's all the rage at my place at the moment.

Peope at work also bored with fejolas after everyone brought in spare bags. Hae now resorted to leaving bags and a pile of $2 coins by the side of the roads so that people that remove the fejolas also get to take $2.

We had the same issue with the vile things last year - Made all sorts of cakes, muffins, crumbles and chutney, but in the end DH turned the remaining feijoa mountain into wine. It's gone down well with the feijoa lovers, but not me, it's still vile

This year we were giving a carrier bag-a-day to kindy and work mates. I've given up collecting them in the last week and now have a feijoa carpet that not even the chickens or possum are interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by YouMeAndThree View Post
    I've given up collecting them in the last week and now have a feijoa carpet that not even the chickens or possum are interested in.

I'm determined to get some success in my $2 coin and fejola cross breeding programme. Seriously, are Fejola trees the most fertile fruit tree there is?

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    I'm determined to get some success in my $2 coin and fejola cross breeding programme. Seriously, are Fejola trees the most fertile fruit tree there is?
    Our one tree is producing enough fruit a day to fill a large 20 litre bucket and has been like this for the last 3 - 4 weeks. So yeah, if money grew on trees I'd opt for a feijoa-grafted one.

Our only other tree overhangs the cow field, so I don't bother collecting those.

(Although saying how good our's have been our neighbour has said their tree has performed badly for the last 2 years)

Ahh - I do miss feijoas!

Quote Originally Posted by Dell View Post
    Ahh - I do miss feijoas!
    Bagsy Dell.

What's your address. I'll post you a few tonnes. Or just get an avacado, scrape out the inside. Put it in a blender with 1 part avo, 1 part kiwi friuit and 1 part "Deep Heat" or other equivalent muscle balm and you'll be fine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast