Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A small question about WHV

Question A small question about WHV

Hello everyone

I'm informed that if the employer wants to hire a foreigner with WHV for a long-term job, he/she has to explain to the immigration office firstly, to certify that the position couldn't be filled by local people in local market...

However, if the position is in the list of "Long Term Skill Shortage List", and the candidate also has related working experience/education background in other countries, will the situation be easier?

I know the SFV is the best choice to find a skilled job actually, but the vacancies are very limited...

Thank you sooooooooo much indeed!

Hello and welcome.

If an employer wants to hire someone for a long-term job, they can't do it on a WHV, which is specifically forbidden. Sometimes, employers with this in mind will take on the WHV person by describing the job as being for a limited contract only, although both parties fully intend that it will be extended once they've gone through the proper formalities, as the worker will have to obtain a different kind of visa if they are going to stay on.

It sounds as if you are talking about two possible scenarios which could each lead to a different kind of work visa. (I was about to give you the link, but the site is down - later, you need to Google 'Immigration NZ', and then go to their page about Temporary Work visas, which explains or gives links to all the various possibilities.)

JanM, thank you very much for your information.

I'm sorry to make it confused.

I have applied the Skills Migration and in the “Application Received” phase. Since I don’t have job offer, I have to wait at least 9 months to get the final result…

I’m thinking to apply a WHV, then go to NZ to find a skilled job, which will accelerate my case largely…The SFV (Silver Fern Job Search Visa) may be the most suitable visa, however, I’m not sure if I can get one...

As for the Temporary Work visas, it’s only for those who has Job Offer, not very suitable for me.

Do you think it's feasible?

This what I mean, based on what I know a lot of other people have done. You could go to NZ on a WHV and get a job, and start working on it IMMEDIATELY as long as the employer will co-operate and say it's for a fixed term. Then if he also makes you an offer of a permanent position, you have the right to apply for a Temporary Work visa, which will usually be processed much more quickly than Residency (under skilled migrant). All the time, your Skilled Migrant application will still be working its way through the system, and as soon as you can tell INZ that you have a skilled job, your Residence application will go to the front of the queue.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    This what I mean, based on what I know a lot of other people have done. You could go to NZ on a WHV and get a job, and start working on it IMMEDIATELY as long as the employer will co-operate and say it's for a fixed term. Then if he also makes you an offer of a permanent position, you have the right to apply for a Temporary Work visa, which will usually be processed much more quickly than Residency (under skilled migrant). All the time, your Skilled Migrant application will still be working its way through the system, and as soon as you can tell INZ that you have a skilled job, your Residence application will go to the front of the queue.
    Thank you for your explanation, I'm clear finally......
    I decided!! I will apply for the WHV!!!

I very much appreciate for your help!!

Good luck with finding the job you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Good luck with finding the job you're looking for.
    yes, I will try my best.

Good luck!

I came to NZ on a WHV as I was (back in the old PR days) just 2 points short of being eligible for PR as a skilled migrant and having a job carried me over the threshold. My employer had to write a letter saying why they hired me. I was lucky in that they only interviewed one other and that person, although being a kiwi, was living in Melbourne at the time.

Another friend of mine had the same issue, but his situation was made more awkward by his company creating a position for him then they had to advertise when the issue of renewing his visa came around. He has his PR now so it worked for him too.

Hope you find a job in your field and settle into NZ well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ally Bally Bee View Post
    Good luck!

I came to NZ on a WHV as I was (back in the old PR days) just 2 points short of being eligible for PR as a skilled migrant and having a job carried me over the threshold. My employer had to write a letter saying why they hired me. I was lucky in that they only interviewed one other and that person, although being a kiwi, was living in Melbourne at the time.

Another friend of mine had the same issue, but his situation was made more awkward by his company creating a position for him then they had to advertise when the issue of renewing his visa came around. He has his PR now so it worked for him too.

Hope you find a job in your field and settle into NZ well.

WOW, you're sooooo lucky.

Thank you sooo much for your experience. I learnt a lot.

Hi Wendy,

just being curious: What does SH stand for? St Helena, Schleswig-Holstein or something else?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast