Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 10111213 LastLast

Thread: Can you point me to any negative posts about New Zealand?

Sadly as an asthmatic then the bug bombs are a no go, and it's the roaches that are our most frequent guest at the moment. The OH's favourite are the ones that hide in the letter box between letters and then scuttle out and onto the top as she walks up the path with them in her hand.

I found a dead one between the cover and hard bit of my Annabel Langbein cook book. And another one in the oven, burnt to a crisp.

There's a live (big) one that hides in our kitchen.

Got to put up with the cockroaches I suspect, but at least I don't get the huge spiders here that used to seek out my old bedroom in the UK.

My big tip is to put all opened packets in the pantry into a sealed container. One night Casey went to help himself to some raisins and wondered why one started walking up his arm.

Or you can get Little Miss Muffet (I think that's what it is, I leave man-type things to Casey). It's quite toxic (you don't want to touch it or breathe it in) but you spray it around your house (Casey did the downstairs, particularly by the door) and it kills cockroaches, but strangely not the daddy long legs spider type things.

I don't think it helps that she insists that I catch Charles (the cocroach) and take him outside and release him. Bloody vegetarians. So it's probably the same one that comes in each day. Must admit to not having had any in the house for over a week since Charles had a bath in Raid whilst she was away on a trip up to Auckland......

Shame about the asthma. These ones are not your standard aerosol type though, may be worth a look at one next time you are in Mitre10 to see if you would be affected by the stuff it releases.
    http://www.mitre10mega.co.nz/shop/ga...rafume_138861/

Cheers
    G

Since making the decision to return to NZ, I've been buying food containers that will go in my shipping container. I didn't have a problem with cockroaches in the past - but I did with silverfish.

I'd rather battle silverfish than the black widow spiders in my woodpile.

Quote Originally Posted by Dell View Post
    Since making the decision to return to NZ, I've been buying food containers that will go in my shipping container. I didn't have a problem with cockroaches in the past - but I did with silverfish.

I'd rather battle silverfish than the black widow spiders in my woodpile.
    I hate spiders and can see no real reason why there is any need for poisonous ones to exist on the planet for people to have to deal with, same goes for snakes, thankfully none of them over here. Scorpions are another one, what is their purpose in life and Wasps, what do they do? I know what bees do... but wasps, whats that all about?

As I said spray around the outside of your window frames and door jambs (on the bricks if a brick built is fine) and your step and under it, and any other place, hole or crevice that the multi-legged devices hide with Mortein Barrier Outdoor Surface Spray and as I said, anything that gets past it you will need a 12gauge to sort it out. Just use it 2 or 3 times a year and nothing will crawl in thats for sure.

I have seen a couple of small roaches outside the house and a shed load of dead ones that tried to walk across the Mortein barrier and failed and I found one huge bugger in the garden that was around 3 inches long and over an inch wide (75mm x 25mm), that one was swiftly dispatched when a large stone was brought down with some force on the stone it was sunbathing on. We have Hedgehogs in the garden so I'm not sure how they missed this one.

We also have Skinks in the garden along with some big fat mice, these all serve to keep the cats amused and stops them bringing huge stick insects in to the house to play with.

Cheers
    G

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    Must admit to not having had any in the house for over a week since Charles had a bath in Raid whilst she was away on a trip up to Auckland......
    Man after me own heart!!

Lived in Hong Kong for 2 and half years...the only roaches we has problems with, were the ones the cats would bring in....

You can have fly screens custom-made for about $100 a window.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 10111213 LastLast