Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Can you point me to any negative posts about New Zealand?

Quote Originally Posted by eassae View Post
    How much time have you spent on either forum?
    I hope that is rhetorical as I haven't kept records.

I'll assume your friend isn't in a persistent vegetive state, probably read The Secret one to many times, but a fully functioning human none the less?

....and he's of sound mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Origems View Post
    I hope that is rhetorical as I haven't kept records.
    I agree that most of what is on expatexposed.com is from people that have had such bad experiences that they have lost touch with reality, so you get a lot of blind ranting. On the other hand much of what you find on ENZ seems to be from people with blinders on as well, just on the other end of the spectrum. Both sites have snippets of truth that come out now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Dell View Post

....and he's of sound mind.

Hey,
    Thanks for the suggestion eassae. I've heard about expatexposed but I haven't been there. I had only heard negative things about people being overly negative about NZ on there. Still I've been told many times you can learn something from everyone. Sometimes you just have to pick and choose.
    Thanks Dell,
    I'm not worried about the weather. I lived in Western Oregon for 15 years with weather like Southern England. Then NE Washington State for 11 years with weather like Antarctica half the year and the other half like the Sahara desert. That is an exaggeration of course but you get the idea. Now I'm in Florida visiting my brother and dying from the heat and humidity. My favorite weather was Oregon so I think if a Brit likes NZ I will too. At least as far as weather is concerned.

I agree that most of what is on expatexposed.com is from people that have had such bad experiences that they have lost touch with reality, so you get a lot of blind ranting. On the other hand much of what you find on ENZ seems to be from people with blinders on as well, just on the other end of the spectrum. Both sites have snippets of truth that come out now and then.
    I just think it is a question of degree. I have no beef with persuading people to remove their rose tinted specs with well reasoned arguments. However as you admit expatexposed has a lot of blind ranting, where any attempt at balance is soon shouted down. It is as if a lot of the people should really be in therapy but populate the forum instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Origems View Post
    It is as if a lot of the people should really be in therapy but populate the forum instead.
    After all it is so much cheaper.....

most people have already made their decision, and are looking for information that validates that decision.
    So true!

Just been over to expatexposed out of curiosity. Those people are REALLY angry! There doesn't seem to be a vast amount of balance and I wonder that if being an imigrant has maybe made it easier to make the mistake of thinking that a part stands for the whole, if you know what I mean, so that a bad experience of a school seems to make the whole education system rubbish where as back home they would most probably just conclude that it was a local thing to be solved or another school found?

Quote Originally Posted by Rasa11 View Post
    I'd like to hear other people's complaints as well. Its good to get a well rounded view of a place before you move. Thanks
    Hope this helps - what's not good in NZ:

1. Salaries are lower -you can earn a lot more in other countries
    2. The sun is powerful you have a higher risk of skin cancer
    3. It's really not that good for shopping - the choice is not that good
    4. There is an under current of issues arising from the Treaty which took sovereignty of NZ from the Maori when it was never that clear that was happening.
    5. It's miles away from anywhere
    6. It's in serious debt
    7. It has a la higher proportion of poor housing than most advanced countries - damp and cold living in winter is a problem for quite a few folk
    8. Gas central heating is rare to find
    9. You have to pay to see your GP
    10. They lock up very high proportions of people
    11. The suicide rate amongst children is high
    12. The road system and train system needs improving and upgrading
    13. The country constantly has minor earth tremours everyday with the risk of a major earthquake lurking.

So there you go lots of genuine negatives!

But we moved in Jan and we really like it a lot - we think it's a great country to live in - if you want to know why it suits us check out:
    http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=32309

But remember good and bad are not fixed variables - it depends upon what we value and what is important to us.

All the best with your assessment and decision
    Last edited by themilkybarkid; 23rd April 2011 at 12:23 PM.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast