Thread: Can we take a LCD tv to NZ?

Default Can we take a LCD tv to NZ?

I am leaving to hamilton next week and movers will be coming in on monday. what kind of electronics items can we bring in? in particular can i take a LCD HDTV that operates on 110V with us and will it work in NZ?( it consumes only 235W and i already have a 1 KW step up/down transformer.)

I suggest you do a search for old threads - people with the knowledge have set out elsewhere in the past exactly what will and won't work, and anything extra you need to be aware of.

What is the make and model number?

its a sony KDL46V5100. As per JandM's suggestion i digged into some old threads. it looks like my TV wont support PAL and support only NTSC. so i may have to get a converter i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by indo_americano View Post
    its a sony KDL46V5100. As per JandM's suggestion i digged into some old threads. it looks like my TV wont support PAL and support only NTSC. so i may have to get a converter i guess.
    As you say, you won't be able to directly view a TV signal in NZ.

Most people would just get a set top box (STB) e.g. freeview or sky etc and use them as the 'tuner' to the TV i.e. use the TV as a monitor.

One thing to be aware of is that not all HDMI inputs are created equal so you may not be able to connect the STB to the TV this way.

Ian

No,it wont work as is. You will need several coverters of ac to 240v and tv signal from ntsc to pal. And no, hdmi would not work too.

Suggest sell them, and buy multi ntsc/pal in nz

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx_thor View Post
    And no, hdmi would not work too.

Suggest sell them, and buy multi ntsc/pal in nz
    Would love to know why you think this as it seems to be opposite to everyone elses views / experiences.

2 things, as per voltage, a stepdown convert is needed, expensive than just an adaptor if 110-240 v supported, and you have to consider watts needed ( the more watts more expensive)As per tv signal any tv made in american including south america does not support pal. Otherwise the tv will be more expensive for a system does not used. I did search a couple of converters, and i figure out that in my case 2 are need. 1 for my xbox to connect same to a pal tv ( regular rca plugs) and 1 for pal/ntsc hdmi signal ( aprox usd150 amazon). So probably the question is that in nz multi signal flat screens are in the market, and if so, how much they cost. So we can decide to buy new ones, or keep existings with converters.