Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Yorkshire pudding - 2011 thread

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    What is a Yo(r)kshire pudding?
    Seriously, have you never come across them? You'll have to get somebody of English origin to cook for you.

I've seen a theory that they arose because English soldiers who'd been over in France fighting in the 100 Years' War went back and described French pancakes to their wives, and cooking in the oven instead of on the hob makes the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Seriously, have you never come across them? You'll have to get somebody of English origin to cook for you.

I've seen a theory that they arose because English soldiers who'd been over in France fighting in the 100 Years' War went back and described French pancakes to their wives, and cooking in the oven instead of on the hob makes the difference.
    You can see where I am from now; not too English.
    However I will ask around!

Hey guys, you are Kiwis now. What you REALLY want is sweet potato recipes (just baked SP muffins today and they are divine!).

Quote Originally Posted by benhila View Post
    Hey guys, you are Kiwis now. What you REALLY want is sweet potato recipes (just baked SP muffins today and they are divine!).
    AKA kumara muffins

They are indeed very yummy, especially with some smoked paprika thrown in!

I've not had proper Yorkshire pudding since my mother died 26 years ago. Have tried and tried again to make it - but I end up with goo. I think it's because I'm so sure the hot fat is going to explode in the oven that I don't let it get hot enough. Will be reading this thread with interest.....

And it's possible that you have too much fat. Even if it's at the right temperature, too much will kill it! When I've heated the pan in the oven, I empty it out so there's just a film coating the surfaces before I put the batter in.

And, if you can get them, proper Yorkshire Puding tins.

The difference between them, and say, cupcake tins are that they are very shallow.

The deeper the tin, the harder it is to get them fully cooked on the inside before they burn out the outside.

Do they sell them in NZ?

My mother always used cupcake/muffin tins. I thought she'd pour about 1/4 inch of fat into each hole then put the pan in the oven until the fat smoked....then would quickly pour in the batter mix and back into the oven. Yummy!

Do you think this is too much grease?

In comparison with my method (which works), yes.

If you're not getting a good result, get a recommended recipe (Delia, or other), and start from the beginning. Also, you may find you need to tweak things a bit depending on your pans and your oven.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    In comparison with my method (which works), yes.

If you're not getting a good result, get a recommended recipe (Delia, or other), and start from the beginning. Also, you may find you need to tweak things a bit depending on your pans and your oven.

Thanks.

Hopefully soon I won't have an oven and my pans will be in a container heading for the Motherland! I will cook myself a welcome-home dinner of a roast with yorkshire pud when I'm in my new house and have unpacked my pans!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast