Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone used Crown, US to NZ?

Default Has anyone used Crown, US to NZ?

I just found out that the reason my quote from Crown is so reasonable is because they don't pack or load. They just drop off the container and I pack it.

Hmmm - from what I've read here, this will raise red flags for MAF - and they'll want to inspect everything I've packed. According to Chris Neo with Crown they don't pack and load the container.

Has anyone used Crown from the US to NZ - and if so, did you pack your boxes and the container? Any issues with MAF in NZ?

Thanks in advance....

Auskiwi, I just went back and re-read my shipping agghhhhh thread and remember now that you used Crown previously. Hoping you can answer my questions....

Heh, well they certainly offered to pack up our stuff in the UK if we'd accepted that quote... I wonder why they won't in the US???!

Did you specifically asK for door to door, packed and unpacked?

Crown here in NZ strongly suggested they do the packing; finally they did for several m3 to Europe.

This is part of the email I rec'd from Crown:

"Correct me if I am wrong, I get the impression that you are thinking we are packing and loading for you in the container.

Please note we do not pack and load, our quote does not include any packing and loading.

You are the shipper ( not us ), we are merely the freight forwarder that handles the transportation of your shipment from Sedona, AZ to Auckland, NZ.
    "

That is strange....ours was door to door with Crown in Canada. Crown sub contracted to another company to pack our house up.

Should also add...from their very own site - http://www.crownrelo.com/relo/servic...al.moving.html

Crown’s crews exercise care and professionalism when packing, transporting, delivering and unpacking its customers’ personal belongings, and is proud to have one of the highest rated records for claim-free relocations in the industry. Even though Crown takes every precaution to eliminate risk, it is important to note that personal belongings will be traveling on a boat, plane, truck or train—all of which carry inherent risks. This is why Crown offers CrownCare, a comprehensive transit protection program with policies that offer full replacement cost coverage on an “all risks” basis. Click here to read more about our Transit Protection.
    Last edited by Addicted to NZ; 23rd April 2011 at 09:59 AM.

We packed our own container (hired a few local lads to help!). We had boxed and wrapped everything, so when the container arrived we were like an army of ants putting everything in it. We had a very itemized packing list, so only had a few things inspected when we arrived in NZ (fishing poles, and camping gear I think). It really wasn't a big deal, and worth it for what we saved. Believe it or not, nothing was broken on arrival :-)

In fact when we moved back to the states we had Conroy's pack our container and they couldn't fit everything in like we had! We ended up having to leave our dining set and some scaffolding sections in NZ. When we had packed ourselves, we had ensured no space was left empty (every dresser drawer was full etc), whereas Conroy's filled empty spaces with crumpled packing paper.

Amy.

I have always packed myself, saves space & money. From experience if you get the "professionals" to pack you end up shipping 50% goods & 50% crumpled paper & boxes. that's how they get the quotes up so high.
    If you have plenty of $ to throw around then get someone to do it for you but if you would rather spend the cash you save, then do it yourself.

Auskiwi & gypsy, thanks for the info! I may give it a go. I'm good at packing/organizing so this might be right up my alley. Thanks!

I dont know whether you tried to talk to the guys at rainier overseas in seattle,WA. for us , they quoted very very less when compared to crown and they do door-door delivery.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast