Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 1/2 year in New Zealand

Default 4 1/2 year in New Zealand

Just thought I'd add the link to the two previous catch up posts
    http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18613 1 1/2 years in
    http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25365 2 1/2 years in

Well, in all honesty, looking back at the 2 1/2 year post nothing much has changed! We are still very happy here and don't regret the move for a second. We have all had the opportunity to do things here we wouldn't have done if we had stayed in the UK. Me, I have done a diploma in photography and spend a lot of time with my local photography club. OH is on the last part of training to be a teacher and is enjoying it very much. Boys are both very happy and the oldest will be off to Wellington to study next year. Their life here is good.

We will finally be in a position to build our house next year on land we bought 5 years ago. The pensions will be released (well 1/2) next April because we have been out of the UK tax system for 5 years. The funny thing is I get sent fines every year for not filing tax returns. I have sent notification of not living in the UK every year and they still fine me!!

We are going to visit the UK Christmas 2013 and it will be the first trip back for us. My oldest boy has said he won't be coming with us. He simply doesn't want to go back. I think we have been very spoiled over the time we have been here as I have had either my sister or mum and dad here for a visit every year. OH has has his mum and sister for a visit as well. We are only going back because we feel we need to see some family and friends that probably won't make it here for a visit. I don't want to go back at all, OH thinks it will be interesting.

Moving to NZ was definitely the right move for us as a family and we have all thrived here. Are there things we have found hard? The price of food constantly irritates me!! The fact that mum buys NZ lamb in the UK for about half the price we pay for it here astounds me!! I probably won't feel quite as strongly about this when I don't have 2 teenage appetites to feed and OH starts earning again!! Living on one wage is definitely a challenge, but I think this would have been a challenge for me anywhere and not just here in NZ.

I still miss being close to my family but I don't feel the huge feeling of grief I felt when I say goodbye after a visit that I felt the first time they left. This has been easier with time but even now I still wish they were here. (Note: I don't wish I was there!! )

So over all.... I love Hawke's Bay and its beautiful weather. I wouldn't change a thing (except to win the lottery) I have a feeling of peaceful contentment within my life. That's not a feeling we all strive for, but I do and I've found it.

Sweet as eh?

Your thread has just made me realise we're nearing the 4 year mark.

Nick.

Flies by doesn't it Nick?

I know so many people who have taken up photography since arriving in NZ - perfect place for it.

Glad to hear it's going well.

Luvly jubbly

Loved to read your post- I feel exactly the same about "wish they were here, not I was there":-))

"I have a feeling of peaceful contentment within my life. That's not a feeling we all strive for, but I do and I've found it. "

Pretty much what we're looking for by making this move, was great to read your update - will need to go back and read the previous ones now.

love the part about peaceful contentment

Taking photography lessons in NZ?

It's a scam. They make you think you are actually getting good at photography but in reality, this is New Zealand: Any photos taken in NZ will naturally look great.

See example below: this was taken by my daughter with no skills and a cheap NZ$150 compact camera. lol!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast